Question about pluged auto oiler lines

jamby

Registered
Registered
Hey
I have an Interlube LF-262 A (fun to find parts for) auto oiler on my bridgeport clone, knee mill. It has a tank mounted on the column and a block on the knee for the two ways there, then a main distribution block under the table attached to the saddle. It has multi lines going out under the table feeding the saddle and table ways as well as the ball screws on both.
My problem is the oiling isn't consistent from one set of ways to the next. The knee ways are awash and I have pinched down the tubes to help get more to the main distribution block, but I am afraid my pinching has starve one side and had no affect on the other. At the saddle the left side is getting a correct amount by the right is not also the table doesn't seem to be getting enough because none ever drips on the floor.

I am tempted to disconnect the lines at the main distribution block and blow air thru the lines to try to clean out any dried out oil residue but that leaves me worrying about swarf getting into the ways? Any ideas?

Thanks
Jim

Mine seem the same way- too much here and not enough there. My machine is not old enough to have dried out oil in the lines. I usually just push more oil but that makes a mess. The worrying part is that it seems to have changed over time. The left side Y travel used to bleed out the most oil but now it doesn't bleed at all. I have no idea what to make of it.

I have a multi-line lubrication system on my Tormach 770 and I have always had concerns about unequal distribution of oil. Furthermore, some of the lubrication points are hidden so detection of a dry surface isn't possible on a routine basis. The y and z ball screws and ways can't be inspected without removing way covers.
As to flushing lines, in Tormach's service bulletin SB0031, they recommend flushing with WD40 and allow it to sit overnight, followed by a thorough flush with lube.

Does the system have metering fittings to regulate the amount of oil that the several lines distribute to the oiling points? This is common in most "one shot" systems like Bijur; sometimes, these get plugged up, or if not equipped, the addition of the metering units may solve the problem.

I use a brush for the y-axis ways moving the bed full left, full right and painting the ways with ISO 68.
Then the oil can itself can drop lub on the X-axis and Z-axis.

I get better 'feel' on the bed than using the "one-shot oiler".

I like to apply oil with my fingers, that way, one can feel and remove any gritty matter that may be on machine ways; incidentally, machine oil was or is used by machinists to remove black cast iron dust from the hands before washing with soap or hand cleaners, it works!

Thanks Guys

Lots of good ideas and as soon as I finish my other projects I am going to tear into it.. Yeah I know I've said that before.

Jim

There's a YouTube video by HM the Bridgeport rebuilders . They show the installation and parts needed , the limit flow restrictions , by numbers for each line . I'd Ck it out and write down the ones needing replacement . Or even which ones to clean out , wouldn't some filter inline help to stop any dirt migration. When I do mine I'm sure going to add some filters , ill use clear inline fuel filters to the manifold on the flex line. Might even add an oiler from an air line setup to act as an extra reservoir. I'd blow them out then if the flows messed up either get the limiters needed or get the China made adjustable ones.

Back