Question about R8 tool holders

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a need for a 3/4" R8 tool holder. The name brand holders are generally in the $90 - $100 range, but there is a Shars version advertised on eBay for $19.50 including shipping - https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-END-MI...:-YYAAOxyyF5RJPeU:sc:USPSPriority!30650!US!-1

This is a no-brainer if it's a decent tool. Does anyone have any experience with this type of Shars tool holder?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,
Terry

Normally imports internal threads are pretty crummy. If you don't mind holding the collet to tighten it down I'd say go for it.

Reactions: tjb
No experience with the end mill holder but the Shars products that I have purchased have been decent quality. I would go for it.

Normally imports internal threads are pretty crummy. If you don't mind holding the collet to tighten it down I'd say go for it.
Thanks.

I have a power drawbar. How likely is that combination to be a challenge?

Regards

No experience with the end mill holder but the Shars products that I have purchased have been decent quality. I would go for it.
Thanks, RJ.

I recall in several unrelated posts from the past that reviews on Shars products are - to use your label - 'decent'. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Like my lovely bride has pointed out, for twenty bucks, it's worth finding out.

I'll probably end up getting it and posting a review after using it.

Regards,
Terry

Shars stuff is usually descent quality. Or if not in a hurry watch eBay for a used name brand for a good price.

Shars stuff is usually descent quality. Or if not in a hurry watch eBay for a used name brand for a good price.
Thanks.

I usually keep my radar up for decent used stuff but, unfortunately, I have a somewhat immediate need in this instance. Not 'urgent' but greater than 'wait and see'. And again, $20 is not that huge of a gamble.

Thanks for the input.

Regards

I find that Shar's often has two quality levels, their upper level is often nickle plated and has better tolerances. What gets me with Shar's is often they stick you big time on the shipping. You might also look at the Sowa end mill holder which are made in Taiwan, they have tight tolerances and are well made at mid price point products. I have ordered a range of items from Suncoast, good quality and reasonable shipping. If you had the time, sometimes you can pick up a high quality endmill holder on eBay for ~$40 (see below for an ETM 7/8"), I picked up a Lyndex 3/4" end mill holder a while back which was very nice.
https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/ItemPage.aspx?ItemNumber=534-068&VendorNumber=SOWA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/END-MILL-A...REW-R8-ADAPTER-HOLDER-NEW-IN-BOX/253331957742

I use shars tool holderswith no problems. I have other brands that I have had to tap the hole deeper so my drawbar would work. The cheaper ones sometimes have 2 piece construction and the threads will pull out of the collet body. I have only read about this and have not seen it happen, get what you can afford you may regret it but I doubt it bill

I’ve had the same experience with Shars as RJS. The only “precision” tooling that I recall having bought from them is a set of ER32 collets and they are more than adequate for hobby work.

Don’t know what your tolerances are and your linked ebay listing doesn’t mention TIR, but FWIW, the specs for that end mill holder on Shars’ website says .0004” TIR. (Hopefully, that’s max, not min. :grin:)

Tom

Back