Question about the limitations of miniature lathes

My view is that you start out small. There are a lot of things to learn. Later, you can always go to a bigger machine. That said, I personally go with the Taig. I think that it is a better machine and Taig has lots of tooling to support it. I know a person that recently gave Taig a phone call. He still has not bought, in this case, a mill. But he was impressed with the person tha he talked to his knowlege and honesty. Here's their number. 480-895-6978. P.S. I'm in no way associated with the Taig company. Hope this helps.

However,the original question seemed to me to be about some level of production of the item.......not just one part for the Indian Powerplus restoration.....Also a requirement for a hardenable steel,or even a Q&T steel.............these materials require at least twice the cutting forces of a FCS,or brass........and twice the motor power..........with a pre hardened,carbide will be required,and a certain cutting speed and rigidity.Typically ,low powered machines must use positive rake tooling,and edge chipping is an issue unless a certain cutting speed can be maintained.

Back