Question about the threaded rod in a DIY knurling tool.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm working on a straddle type knurling tool, I have decided to follow the common design that connects the threaded rod (that goes through the two wheel holders) to two pieces of drill rod very similar to the picture here:
ae9699e8b4762989e14cf1de295d770a.jpg
One end of the rod as you know will have the knub or the clamping screw,my question is about the other end of the threaded rod and how to tightly secure it to the (crescent shaped) steel drill rod so it would not turn at all when clamping and tightening the tool.

I have considered these options: using thread locker. epoxy glue, a set screw /pin on the side of the drill rod .
Is there another option that I'm not thinking of?
If you have a better idea,I'd like to know so please feel free to share your thoughts.

I just used some blue Loc-Tite on mine. It only has to stay put. There isn't a lot of torque on the threaded shaft.

Thanks Mike, I do have some loc-tite, sounds like the most logical option.
my Chinese knurling tool has a pin in the base that fits a groove in the threaded rod .
BTW, I hope you are in the safe part of Hawaii away from all the harm that volcano has brought.

I would just make a blind threaded hole in the fixed piece and add a little loctite to the rod. When you tighten it, it will just bottom out against the metal. The loctite just holds it when you loosen the nut, which should require very little torque.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back