[QUESTION] Control the spindle speed on a Variable speed lathe

QuyND

Registered
Registered
Hello guys, i have a question about converting a lathe to CNC, hope you guys can help me out. I plan to using Mach3.

Can you assuredly control the spindle speed with Mach3 if that lathe is variable speed?
If you can, can you give me some document about it?

Thank you. Hope you guys have a nice day.
- Quy

It depends on the spindle motor control electronics currently installed on the lathe. Is it a 3-phase induction motor with a VFD, or is this a brushless DC motor? What is the device currently installed on the lathe that controls spindle speed?

It depends on the spindle motor control electronics currently installed on the lathe. Is it a 3-phase induction motor with a VFD, or is this a brushless DC motor? What is the device currently installed on the lathe that controls spindle speed?
Brushless DC motor, i think.

Do you have photos of the lathe, or specifications, or a brochure? Something like that would help determine if the existing motor controller can accept external inputs.

If it's a newer lathe or mill I would assume it's a brushless motor.

Do you want position control or just speed? If you need position you'll also need some rotary encoder. The current sensor probably only generates 1 pulse per revolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he just wants speed control, but he hasn't responded in two weeks so perhaps he's figured it out...:)

Back