• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

[QUESTION] Control the spindle speed on a Variable speed lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

QuyND

Swarf
Registered Member
Hello guys, i have a question about converting a lathe to CNC, hope you guys can help me out. I plan to using Mach3.

Can you assuredly control the spindle speed with Mach3 if that lathe is variable speed?
If you can, can you give me some document about it?

Thank you. Hope you guys have a nice day.
- Quy

spumco

It depends on the spindle motor control electronics currently installed on the lathe. Is it a 3-phase induction motor with a VFD, or is this a brushless DC motor? What is the device currently installed on the lathe that controls spindle speed?

QuyND

Swarf
Registered Member
It depends on the spindle motor control electronics currently installed on the lathe. Is it a 3-phase induction motor with a VFD, or is this a brushless DC motor? What is the device currently installed on the lathe that controls spindle speed?
Brushless DC motor, i think.

spumco

Do you have photos of the lathe, or specifications, or a brochure? Something like that would help determine if the existing motor controller can accept external inputs.

gregc

If it's a newer lathe or mill I would assume it's a brushless motor.

Do you want position control or just speed? If you need position you'll also need some rotary encoder. The current sensor probably only generates 1 pulse per revolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spumco

I think he just wants speed control, but he hasn't responded in two weeks so perhaps he's figured it out...:)

[6]
[5] [7]