Question for any 3P Smallbore shooters

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Our local 4-H club has a budding smallbore rifle program and yours truly is their poor excuse for a coach. We have some Savage target rifles and I will be fitting them with Boyd's stocks. I've also ordered some Anshutz-style forend rails that I'll inlet into the stocks. On Anschutz rifles, there are marks with numbers engraved on the rail. My question is- what to the numbers represent? Is it a measurement from some reference point (ie the trigger face)? Or is it an arbitrary scale unique to Anschutz rifles?

The measurement is arbitrary, just a way of keeping track of what you are doing. With position shooting, the shooter makes constant adjustments to the rifle as they change over, so numbering makes it easy to remember. If you're outfitting your junior team, you can make them all match for easy interchange. Are you setting these rifles up with slings and hand stops?

Thanks John. Yes, we'll be using slings & hand stops. I want to make the markings the same between rifles for interchangeability between shooters. I just didn't know if there was some standard system that I should use.

Good on you for helping the kids out. How old are they?

There are as many standards as there are rifle builders, as far as I know. It's point of reference, but not convention. I've done a lot of target and competition shooting and I've never seen any coordinate system other than LOP. I have a number of adjustable match rifles for different disciplines, including an ultramodern tube gun for my 3-position game, and for tracking setup changes, marks is marks. With the kids, it would be good for them to remember their own numbers.

I am very happy to hear you are starting them with slings. So few shooters shoot well without mechanical support, but the sling and glove are superior to the bipod or rest, and I can prove that over and over. Fundamentals over tech every time.

Back