• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Question for LMS 5500 (SX2.7) owners

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

harrzack

Harrzack
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Just got notice my 5500 is on the way - should be here (NJ) next week.

My previous mill had a 3-axis DRO. Since the 5500 has the quill "dro" built in - I'm wondering if you are finding it t be adequate... accurate, etc. Maybe I can get away with a 2-Axis DRO and save a few bux - but would NOT want to be without one - much to handy!

=A.

DAT510

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I have the SX3 the larger brother to the SX2.7 I find the Quill DRO to be accurate for my needs. It will easily allow me to hold 0.001" At the same time I have a 3 axis DRO. I find having the DRO on the Z axis valuable. I often need to raise/lower the Z axis beyond the range of the Quill. I try to keep the extension of the quill as short as possible, when milling, to keep things as stiff as possible. But, this also means, I may have to raise the Z axis to change tooling, and the DRO on the Z axis makes it much faster to return to my original coordinates.

harrzack

Harrzack
Ah-ha! Figured I wouldn't get away so easily. :) In my heart of hearts I felt I should get the 3rd axis - and I see now how it can be helpful - Thanks - even if it does cost me an extra $hundred or so... :)

DAT510

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
What DRO are you looking at? The DRO on my SX3 is a Rational Instruments WE-6800-3, with glass scales.

[6]
[5] [7]