Question for Richard King on lathe alignment.

It may be that that spring takeup arrangement is/was less than ideal and that the ultimate fix would be to replace it with a threaded adjustment collar of some kind. Just a thought- often times factory stuff can be improved upon
M

I just called Clausing and talked to customer service. and to my surprise he said it has spring loaded spindle bearings. But said running the spindle for 4 hours you should have felt heat on the headstock.
If you can get us the serial number he says he will get you fixed up. Also sent a PDF of the next size machine, but he said the spindles are the same.
file:///C:/Users/Richard/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/col-8000-15-09.pdf

He said he has a couple of things that might be the problem. But needs more info.

Richard,

Attached is the service manual for the 15” 8000 series lathe. Page 3 shows the spindle assembly break down. If the customer can provide the lathe serial number, I can provide a manual.

Regards,

Ron McNett

Technical Service Manager

download.php

3963 Emerald Drive - Kalamazoo, MI 49001

Phone: 1-800-535-6553 or 1-269-345-7155

Fax: 1-269-342-7888

Web Site: www.clausing-industrial.com

Serial # is 6/001/19766. I have a copy of the factory manual, the manual for this exact machine is supposedly not available anymore, but if there is anything different about this machine I have not found it. The manual agrees with My machine.

Why don't you call Ron and then let us know what happens. I was thinking maybe the springs are the wrong size or squished,he said he never recommends prying the spindle out.

MC and I spoke on the phone today and he said he bought the machine used and when he took out the spindle some of the springs were missing and he can't adjust the spanner nut at the back of the spindle even though there is a 1/2" of threads left. That means someone else has been in there and screwed it up. So with that said I suspect there is a burr holding the bearings or spring holder collar, missing spacer or something simple like that. MC is going to work with Clausing now. Ron at Clausing was eager to help him. Then once he figures out the issue with the spindle we can all help him align his headstock and tailstock. :)

Last edited:
Serial # is 6/001/19766. I have a copy of the factory manual, the manual for this exact machine is supposedly not available anymore, but if there is anything different about this machine I have not found it. The manual agrees with My machine.
Whats happening? Do anything yet? Ron been helping?

I have called twice with no answer or call back. Will try when I get done here. No one answers the line, wonder if They have been snowed out.

I just called them and the operator told me Friday they closed early because of the Big Snow Storm. Try again...she said the are open 8 to 5 .

I called Yesterday and got another tech Who could not help. I waited around 2 hours for the return call from Ron with no success. I will wait for im to call back as this is the 4th call with no success, not grouchy He was on the phone with another customer. Left My call back number twice now.

Back