Question for the ISO guys

Use a sharp HSS bit and if you can utilize a jet of air and that should blow the chip string away from the cutter and prevent the usual 'birds nest'.
That way you won't have to have many dwells in the code.
IMO the delrin will be easier that regular nylon.

PS: GADS, that is an atrocious drawing.......

Use a sharp HSS bit and if you can utilize a jet of air and that should blow the chip string away from the cutter and prevent the usual 'birds nest'.
That way you won't have to have many dwells in the code.
IMO the delrin will be easier that regular nylon.

PS: GADS, that is an atrocious drawing.......
No chance of using HS tooling just ground solid carbide.
175 parts with 2 different nozzle sizes.
The drawing came from this British company https://www.rheon.com/en/products/?id=36
It is entirely possible that it is 40 years old or more which would explain a lot.

Bloody hell, haven't made the first 175 parts yet and they ordered more, I will be up to my butt in unbreakable nylon chips for the next week or two.

It began today, the first of 4 different sized parts.
No drawing supplied just a sample with a hand written note of the changes in the nozzle opening from 9 MM to 7 MM, all other dimensions remain the same.

Made this drawing from the sample this morning, there are more dimensions then needed but they are helpful when actually making the part from both ends, there are dimensions omitted that are not required for the lathe work.

As suspected the chips are a nightmare of stringiness, (is this even a word?) The turning and threading went well, the boring not so much, the .275" Diameter X 3.160 depth is posing a problem as you may imagine.

One or two set-ups P ?

One or two set-ups P ?

No other way to do it, 3" solid round.

Turned the OD and thread then drilled and bored the ID.
Made a threaded fixture for the chuck, screwed them in then turned the small end. I suppose it could be done in one setup if we had a lathe with a sub spindle to support the large end while the small end is turned and parted.
We don't so I didn't (-:

That's the way I would've run that part . ( actually , that's the way I did make those parts , but mine were stainless ) . I was wondering if you plugged that front end for a little support if the part could take the reverse tapering of the OD . I figured it wouldn't , so 2 set-ups .....................................and lots of stringy $ hit ! LOL , hope you aren't running a chip conveyor under that machine !! That's loads of fun getting that in-wound from everything . :grin:

Nylon, very little load on the part when finishing so did not need to support the small end, the chips were not nearly as bad as I had anticipated once the feed rates were bumped up to reasonable levels. Still not fun however.

The time estimate was 5.90 hours for six parts, it took every bit of 10 hours with fixturing, tool making and programming.

Had to make a holder for a 3/16 diameter boring bar that would reach 3.160" deep.

Back