Question for Those With Oil Pumping Systems

I gave up on the push-to-connect fittings because of leaks. I now use NPT to 1/4" compression fittings and don't have that problem anymore.

Tom S.

This.

This is sounding more and more like The Wisdom of the Ages. I was thinking of barb fittings, maybe with a clamp over them. I need a big step down, from 1/8-27 NPT to 5/32 tubing, though.

Right now, I'm in the category of leak that lots of people put up with out of cars or motorcycles or whatever. 2or 3 drops per day. The floor is epoxy painted concrete, so it will stay there and is a slipping issue, except that I will hardly ever go behind the mill. If I had left it bare concrete, it would soak into the concrete like my old concrete driveway. Maybe a plastic tray with some absorbent in it.

This.

This is sounding more and more like The Wisdom of the Ages. I was thinking of barb fittings, maybe with a clamp over them. I need a big step down, from 1/8-27 NPT to 5/32 tubing, though.

Right now, I'm in the category of leak that lots of people put up with out of cars or motorcycles or whatever. 2or 3 drops per day. The floor is epoxy painted concrete, so it will stay there and is a slipping issue, except that I will hardly ever go behind the mill. If I had left it bare concrete, it would soak into the concrete like my old concrete driveway. Maybe a plastic tray with some absorbent in it.

Can't say that I've seen a 1/8" NPT to 5/32" compression fitting.

Tom S.

Tom's answer was the answer. I also couldn't find compression fittings, but I could find barb fittings. It took a little adapter, but looks like this.

NewPlumbing.JPG
Since I'm using 5/32 tubing (1/8 ID), I had to adapt from the fittings I could find to that with a short piece of 1/4" tube.

So far we're at 2-1/2 days without one drop leaked.

Bob

and... after the leaks reappeared some weeks later, I said, "to heck with this" and did this:
NewOilingSystem.JPG
Now when I pump the oil dispenser, it's in the mill quicker, and doesn't drip on the floor or in the enclosure. It's true oil runs off the ways and into the chip tray, which is exactly what the chip tray is there for.

Less than $10 from Wholesale Tool.

For anyone stumbling across this thread who wants to know.

Back