Question Lathe "Boring bars"

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Ok guys looking for a 3/4 inch diameter boring bar. One that is the most versatile, one that you can use different inserts on and one that has the insert as close to the work end as possible. I would like it to do inside threading, be able to bore/ turn inside dimensions and one that can use a variety of inserts.

Any help would be appreciated

?????? One bar does not do all you are asking . :grin: Your best bet would be to make one .

Each type of insert requires a pocket to very closely match its shape and dimensions. There are no "one size fits all" inserted boring bars. I have bought quite an assortment of import threading and boring bars off eBay and Aliexpress. They have been of good quality and cheap enough to satisfy my frugal nature. One or two were 20mm bars which I have turned to 3/4".

Here is a picture of the insert offerings from Everede. Carbide and HSS. These were my go to boring bars 40 years ago. I made a few several months ago as I found a few inserts. Great boring bars. A bit old school.
267def306177b543c03dcdf67caade3b.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Manchester made the same bars . You could grind the HSS inserts they sold to your liking . They did everything but did nothing great . :grin:

Home Brew style, (3/4” gr.8 bolt machined to fit). Takes 1/4” HSS Tool bits.
That is what I'm talking about ! :grin: Cheap easy to make . Grind your bits to what is needed .

Posted to wrong thread at first.

Here are a few of my self made boring bars. The 2 on the upper left take square inserts. I made these in the 80’s. All others were made last year. Everede style, insertable internal thread and insert triangle. 3/4”,5/8”&1/2” diameters

I also have some at work that take round blanks. The easiest type to make. 5 minutes and you have a boring bar.
27440aefb07ac1fde99bca53f81b4519.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back