Question Lathe "Boring bars"

I'd seen rocket-assisted artillery before. In arty, they're deadly accurate and they gain a 30 mile range boost from the 155mm. When those shells fly overhead, you hear them reach apex when the rocket hisses, then they would go ping! and drop the rocket stage ring, on inertia the rest of the way home.

I never saw rocket assisted antitank round like those, but neither of the wars I was in involved enemy tanks, so that's not saying much. I have also heard a lot of what penetrators do to what's inside when they pierce an armored vehicle. I did have an officer in my company get hit with a HEAT (high explosive antitank) round in his Bradley turret. It looked more like a torch cut the size of a pencil through several feet of steel, bearing steel, and aluminum, and everybody survived (wounded, but lived). Those penetrators are said to suck everything inside the tank out the exit hole. I don't understand the physics of that, but I heard it from enough places to think that I wouldn't want to find out for sure.

Back