Question on Bearing cup pocket size?

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK guys I've got a project where I have to mill a hole for a race (bearing cup) and insert a bearing. My question is how much undersize should you mill the pocket to press in the race (cup)

Without knowing exactly what bearing you have it's hard to give an exact answer. Generally speaking, you do not want a very tight fit at all. I'm assuming a taper bearing of around 1-2 inches or so. Maybe 0.0002 to 0.0004". Anything tighter than that and you risk damaging it or warping it out of shape.

Ray

Whenever I need to bore a hole to fit a bearing I contact the bearing manufacturer by email and ask them for clearances. There are so many different bearings and the fit has a direct impact on internal bearing clearances. The maker will know what you need. Being able to bore to that dimension, which will usually be in the micron range ... is another thing.

I'll be placing the bearings (2) in aluminum. I'm actually making a rifling machine for my lathe and am using two wheel bearing for a shaft on which a pinion gear lives and interacts with a gear rack.

If using tapered roller bearings you can utilize a fair amount of press fit as the bearing clearance is made up between the bearings, ball bearings the clearances are built in and cannot stand much press. Tapered rollers don't like out of round.

I want to thank all that replied. I got just the type of answers I was looking for from the forum, thanks again.

I was born and raised in Bakersfield, but moved to Montana a long time ago.

Back