Question On Double Cross Slide Tool Holder And Compound Rest Base

To continue, Part 5 is the apron (actually the entire front is the apron) and Parts 4 and 5 together constitute the carriage. Many smaller lathes actually have a one piece carriage (saddle and apron are cast as one piece). But even with the one piece carriages, if you need to talk about the top portion, you may refer to the saddle, as for example in stating the swing over the saddle wings, which may be a little less than the swing over the ways.

Last edited:
Thanks again to you both, and Rex you answered the most pertinent question: The cross-slide dovetails are unique to each manufacturer. I was 99% sure of this, but when I couldn't find a definitive post/answer, again I asked. It's the replacement cross slide that interests me the most right now. I think for the very few operations I want to do, I can secure the work piece to it for a perpendicular cut.

And thanks for the link Rex. I use the Wiki a lot, duh . . .

Thinking how many times cross slides have been repaired, milled, etc., I suspect there's a table "somewhere," finding it is another matter. For that matter, Andy probably has them, but I'm sure would not appreciate having them posted to the internet. Research project . . .

Ron

Back