Question on mill/drill traming.

I bought a True Line 88 to see if it does the job and when I have the time, I'll install it and review it for you guys here.

Awesome, looking foward to it even though I don't have a round column. Take your time but hurry up! ;)

My column is trammed with precision shim stock and onion skin (precision paper shim stock). It is 0.0005" high in the front of the table and zero in all other directions. It took two days, two days, to get it there. I used a torque wrench set to 35 lb/ft on each column bolt to be sure that didn't mess things up and when I got the final shimming done, I loosened and re-torqued the bolts to be sure nothing changed. I admit that I haven't looked at it since so it may have changed. I'll have to go re-check it soon.

Haha, I think it took me like 4 days! 1 whole day to figure out how to support the head & column to insert & change the shims everytime. I used precision shim stock also. I got mine down to .0007" (low in the front) but I can manipulate it depending how much I tighten the head locks. Mainly it's the top one that affects it.

I just retrammed last week (tilt). Been years since put those shims in there and the nod is still the same from what I remember. My guess is yours hasn't moved either. I'm going to reshim again though, making sure the column gib is adjusted nicely first.

The guys in America don't feel bad for how cold it is here lately. Looks like a ski resort without snow with everybody bundled up around here. It's almost in the 50s in the morning, and doesn't get above 75 till the afternoon. OK back to regular programming.

Awesome, looking foward to it even though I don't have a round column. Take your time but hurry up! ;)

I'm gonna' indicate the head so I'm sure it is dead on center first, then re-check tram to make sure its good, then install the TL88. May take a little while - my project list is HUGE and I am waay behind.

Haha, I think it took me like 4 days! 1 whole day to figure out how to support the head & column to insert & change the shims everytime. I used precision shim stock also. I got mine down to .0007" (low in the front) but I can manipulate it depending how much I tighten the head locks. Mainly it's the top one that affects it.

I just retrammed last week (tilt). Been years since put those shims in there and the nod is still the same from what I remember. My guess is yours hasn't moved either. I'm going to reshim again though, making sure the column gib is adjusted nicely first.

God, please let Will be right!

The guys in America don't feel bad for how cold it is here lately. Looks like a ski resort without snow with everybody bundled up around here. It's almost in the 50s in the morning, and doesn't get above 75 till the afternoon. OK back to regular programming.
Brah, when these guys are seeing -50 degrees, we'll get no sympathy when we complain about +50 degrees! Let's you and I just enjoy where we live and quietly feel sorry for those frozen guys. :)

It got down into the 30s 2-3 weeks ago, that's not normal for sunny SoCal! Well it happens every 4-5 yrs. It snowed here last week where it never snows. I didn't actually see it though.

Reminded me of this video about it. :D

I’ve used a brake rotor years, when I finish up, I rotate the rotor, 90 degrees, resweep and recheck the readings, I’ve never had to change a thing, some readings.

Ten or so years ago, I went to visit an ex-pat friend living in Thailand. It dipped below 70F there one weekend, and all the young kids were out in the winter gear they'd inexplicably purchased and had been waiting for a chance to wear.

Same guy was telling me a story of explaining to a local (obviously not a very bright one) that houses in other places have heaters as well as air conditioners. "But why would you heat up a room when you're just going to have to use the A/C to cool it down again? Isn't that wasteful?"

Yeah, I kinda prefer having seasons. It passes the time :)

Dropped the brake rotor and tried in directly, I think I also get a better more solid rig for holding the indicator. Do the pics look like the set up is OK? or should the indicator be at a lower angle more parallel to the table? At this point with out too much trouble I have it within a thou to a thou and a half (0.0015) the greatest error is in the nod (Y) and it tends to be low in the front. I notice it does not take much to push the head up/back a little and take out that error and figure any cutting is going to tend to push it in that direction anyway -(?) that is the .0015 and the largest difference as I sweep around. Big question is if my set up is OK per the pics? Thanks again! How about the set up for the vise?

20190306_130900.jpg

20190306_130847.jpg

20190306_135405[1].jpg

Back