Question On Rockwell 10" Lathe Tailstock

VSAncona

Active User
Registered
I'm going through the tailstock from a 10" Rockwell metal lathe and in comparing the tailstock I have with the original parts list/diagram, it appears that I am missing part number 147 from the parts list -- a bearing that fits over the end of the feed screw before the feed screw is inserted into the tailstock housing. On the diagram, this bearing doesn't really look like anything more than a washer. The tailstock seems to work fine without it. Is there anyone here that owns one of these lathes that might be able to shed a little more light on what this bearing actually looks like and what purpose it serves? I'd like to find or make a replacement for it if possible. Thanks.

Thanks, Bob. After I posted my question, I took a look at the parts diagram for the Rockwell 11" lathe and they call the same part a thrust washer. I'm guessing it's just a porous bronze washer.

It might be either. Perhaps someone familiar with your lathe will chime in... Either way, it is not a difficult fix, and it is likely you can find something off the shelf that works.

On my 14" lathe, Rockwell used many bronze thrust washers and bearing in the entire lathe. Mine does show a thrust washer used in the tailstock also. I haven't torn down the tailstock yet, if I do and see something different, I'll advise. The thrust washers used are standard off the shelf items from most bearing houses or McMaster-Carr. Ken

Hi Vince,

Here are some photos of my Rockwell 10" tail stock (and lathe). I've got a picture of my manual parts list too which must be different from yours. I have a PDF from the web someplace dated 4-15-66. I also have the original manual that came with the lathe dated 9-20-64, tail stock pages are the same in the two manuals. Mine shows the thrust washer as reference No. 184, part no. 920-76-010-7220, description 1/2 x 13/16 x 0.0641 thrust washer bearing. My lathe might have a replacement washer as the dimensions are a little different. Mine is 0.0625" thick with a 1" OD and a 0.535" ID. Mine isn't zinc plated so it might be original and not a hardware store replacement. In use it's the bearing between the back of the ram and the tail stock casting; gives the ram a nice smooth surface to bear against as you load the ram with operations like drilling. Hope this helps,

Bruce

Capture.JPG 20170106_115201.jpg 20170106_115224.jpg 20170106_114653.jpg 20170106_114659.jpg

Bruce -- Thanks a bunch for all the photos and detailed description. My tailstock is slightly different than yours (mine has a micrometer dial on the handwheel). But the purpose of the thrust washer is probably the same (to prevent wear between the feed screw and the inside of the tailstock casting, like you said). I picked up a bronze thrust washer and hopefully that will work. Thanks again.

Vince

Curiosity killed the cat! Went and checked the thrust washer on the tailstock of my 14" lathe. It matches the dimensions above, so does the part number! And it's a bronze thrust washer.

Thanks Ken. It would have been nice if Rockwell had included the dimensions for the part I need, but I think I can reverse engineer it close enough.

Back