Question – what is a crane?

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
I am a hobby machinist that likes guns but I am not a gunsmith.

I picked up a copy of the book “The Gun Digest Book of Ruger Pistols & Revolvers” at a local gun show yesterday. I find interesting the design detail of the different models and how they have evolved through the years along with the manufacturing processes used. The author writing about the manufacturing processes for the revolvers stated the following:

“Now the process is a bit more complicated when it comes to double-action revolvers. There, the crane has to be fitted to the frame before anything else. Then the cylinder gets fitted to the crane and the frame. Then, the barrel gets installed. Since the cylinder is already fitted to the frame and crane, the only step left for the DA revolvers is setting the cylinder gap.”

I understand the revolver parts, the frame, the barrel, and the cylinder but what is the crane?

Benny

The "CRANE" is the pivoting part that supports and swings the cylinder out .

"Billy G"

Isn't that the swing part that holds the cylinder to the frame on a DA revolver...Bob

Bill and Bob,

Thanks for the quick replies. That makes sense to me. I went to sleep last night thinking about that. I woke up this morning and had not solved the question in my dreams. I should be able to sleep better tonight not worrying about the cranes.

Benny

Back