Questions about band saw blades...

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently purchased a Kysor Johnson model J band saw.
It has a 1" x .038 blade on it.
I have three full 100' rolls of bulk metal cutting blade here that I don't need for anything else. Two rolls are 1/2" x.025, one is 5/8 x .032
Have an old Grob blade welder that does a nice job on 1/2" and might? weld the 5/8" blade if I push it a bit.
I was thinking about buying a set of narrower guide rollers for the saw and using some of this bulk blade.
Is this idea worth pursuing?
Thanks

It's worth a try I guess to save a few bucks . I had a model J and sold it to deker on here . Nice heavy duty saw . :)

The way I see it hobby machining is having to make do with what you have at hand. You have stuff so all that is
needed is some effort. Try a few things and go with what works. Just think of how much cutting you could
do with 300 feet of blade and go from there. Edison tried lots of things that didn't work but that didn't stop him.

I wouldn't. All things being the same, a larger blade can be tensioned tighter if the frame is stiff enough(which yours is)

If the blade / guides are well aligned the bigger blade will track straighter as well.

I really don't know why one would want to hobble the saw?

Like sticking a 4cylinder car engine in a one ton truck just because you have it on hand.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Have you check to see if the guide rollers can be adjusted to accommodate a narrower blade? I'm guessing you have but just mentioning it on off chance.

It may well depend on how much you can reduce the weight of the head. The Model J just has a spring and sliding weight, yes?

I've got a model J too. I use it more than any machine in my shop. It works great with the blade that's on it (3/4" I think). I've also got a lot of 1/2" blade stock (maybe 7 rolls), but I wouldn't try to use it on the Johnson. I've had this saw for about 6 years and it's only on the 2nd blade. I always use coolant and the 2nd lowest speed with minimal weight. It shuts off by itself at the end of the cut so no need to hurry. I can do something else while it's cutting. Besides a blade brush there is a air blade cleaner so no chips or coolant to mess everything up. I'd like to see a pic of yours.
Aaron

I've got a model J too. I use it more than any machine in my shop. It works great with the blade that's on it (3/4" I think). I've also got a lot of 1/2" blade stock (maybe 7 rolls), but I wouldn't cntry to use it on the Johnson. I've had this saw for about 6 years and it's only on the 2nd blade. I always use coolant and the 2nd lowest speed with minimal weight. It shuts off by itself at the end of the cut so no need to hurry. I can do something else while it's cutting. Besides a blade brush there is a air blade cleaner so no chips or coolant to mess everything up. I'd like to see a pic of yours.
Aaron

I just had this blade stock laying around gathering dust so was thinking I might be able to use it. After looking the saw over more I won't.
The drive wheel does have grooves so you could use 1/2 and 5/8" blades but the driven wheel does not have the grooves so it would ruin the set on one side of the blade.
I did find a .pdf file from Lenox that shows the blade should be 3/4" x 11' 5". Does this agree with what you are using?
What type of teeth (raker, etc) and how many tpi are you using for all purpose cutting?
Also, my coolant pump is missing completely. Looks like it ran off a gear on the drive wheel.
Any source for one that isn't Really expensive?
I might just add a pump that drives off a pulley as I like the idea of everything shutting down together.
I got 220/3ph power to it for the first time this morning and made two cuts with it. No coolant yet so I used cutting oil on it. Measuring this blank there is about .003 difference in thickness from one side to the other. Pretty good I think.
Only 5 degrees in my garage this morning so I rolled the saw into my 7'X 10' office.
Toasty warm in there but tight quarters.

Attachments

• 20220212_102009.jpg
    20220212_102009.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220212_104753.jpg
    20220212_104753.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220212_101021.jpg
    20220212_101021.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220212_100947.jpg
    20220212_100947.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 132
[QUOTE="Firebrick43, post: 924761, member: 36433"

Like sticking a 4cylinder car engine in a one ton truck just because you have it on hand.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
[/QUOTE]

Lol.
I'm more apt to go the other way.
I ran a 52 hp engine from a 4000 in my little 37 hp 3000 for several years. Was a real let down when I went back to the right engine.
Little brother on it putting in a deer plot.

Attachments

• 20200502_120843.jpg
    20200502_120843.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 135
Back