Questions About My 109.21280 Craftsman Lathe

Westkeyser

Registered
Registered
I have one of these, 109.21280. Anyone know of anyone having parts for it. There is a long flat gear under the Bed that moves the tool holder and threading mechism. 5/8 X thick, 5/8" - 3/4, gear teeth ACME I THINK 24-26" long
Having 5 threaded. Screw holes. Flat head screws about #10 . 3/4" long. ?

Mine was given to me some years ago. Was not aware the gear was missing, wish I had, just was not interested. At the
Time . Now , I have a Grandson , coming from age, want to get it up and running maybe he will pick it and make it work one day. I need a 3-jaw and 4 jaw Chuck , if some one has one or both , 1-10 spindle . It is in great shape, I have run down the. Auto-Parts Garauge it came from. They have no GEAR LAYING ABOUT. IT HAS 5 screw holes ,about 24" or more long . davebrantnerwv@earthlink.net. (Mention. Sears 109 lathe). Thanks in advance Dave

I have one of these, 109.21280, it is in great shape. However it had a flat gear under the bed , that moves the tool holder ASSMBLY , and make it move left and right. It is shown in the picture of the above post. Do not know what
It is called, APX . 1/2-3/4" thick, 5/8-3/4" wide to the end of the ACME. THREAD , 20" - 22" long. Has 5 threaded screw holes about #10 flat head. Cannot find a schematic anywhere to give you the part number or better DIMENSIONS , sorry . Any one that can help me , tell me where to look or person with a lot of knowledge of the Old Craftsman Lathe . I also need a 3 and 4 jaw Chuck, 1-10 Spindle.
davebrantnerwv@earthlink.net, 304-788-3637. Please I need your help. Thanks in advance. Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really curious as to what type of spindle bearings it has- sure looks like ball bearing to me
mark

I'm really curious as to what type of spindle bearings it has- sure looks like ball bearing to me
mark
MARK, IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE, BELIEVE ME I DID NOT INTEND TO DO SO. As for the bearings on the Spindle , I do not know it it is , ball or bushing. I did got out to the Garauge , and looked at the spindle. I could not
See the what bearings is in it. My guess is I would have to open the gear housing to see it? Unless you can tell me more info on how and what to fo. I would be glad to look as often as it takes. Would you know what this Flat Gear is called that I need? Or where I can get a schematic , to see how to repair it and how to operate the Lathe , if I can get the
Proper parts? You can contact me by my email address, as trying to figure out how to navigate this web site is a bit too much. Dave Brantner. Thank in advance.

Dave,

There is no known documentation available on that model. As I wrote a few months back, it never made it into a Sears Power Tools catalog.

Any chuck that fits any of the Atlas built 6" lathes exccept for 101.07300 and 101.07301 should fit as they all have 1"-10 spindle nose threads.

A photo of the side of your lathe would help but from your description, you appear to be talking about what's commonly call a rack. As in rack and pinion. The mating pinion should be present on the inner end of the shaft that the carriage traverse handwheel is on. It is basically what you would have if you were to cut the teeth off of a gear leaving some metal connecting each one, and then straightened the ring out flat. The rack off of one of the Atlas lathes might fit, although the mounting screw holes probably won't. If you can wrap a tape measure around the pinion and measure the distance from center of one tooth to center of next, that is approximately the pitch. I don't know what the pitch is on a 6" rack but someone here with a 6" could measure it.

Hmm, seems like we lost a thread somehow... the member from Florida with the gold colored lathe-? That's who I was referencing about the spindle bearings question- afaik no one has been offended Dave
mark

I don't know what the pitch is on a 6" rack but someone here with a 6" could measure it.

Measured both extreme ends of the rack on my 618. As close as I can make out, 0.158"

image.png

-frank

Hmm, seems like we lost a thread somehow... the member from Florida with the gold colored lathe-? That's who I was referencing about the spindle bearings question- afaik no one has been offended Dave
mark
Mark,

Strangely enough, I also had the feeling that I had seen that same post this morning. The site server may have had a momentary upchuck. I did a search on
109.21280 Craftsman Lathe

and it turned up two threads, this one that we are in in August of 2018, and the one that you and I thought that we saw this morning, which was from back in 2016.

And Dave, no one has been offended. Don't worry about it.

And now that Francist has measured his 618 rack, you should be able to tell whether or not one could possibly be installed on your machine, and work.

If not, several places sell rack and pinion sets. You may have to pull your carriage in order to get it out, but if you can't locate a rack that will fit the available space and mesh with the existing pinion, you may be able to find a rack and pinion that will fit into the existing space and work.

And BTW, the 109.21280 was made by AA for Sears.

Yes, that is the one that I was referring to. I had thought that there was one or two more but I must be vaguely remembering some of the posts in that one. Over on groups.io in the Atlas-Craftsman Group I found several mentions of the 109.21280. One of them was I think the one mentioned here in 2016 because it mentioned also the mica undercutter. But it is still a rare beasty. Too bad that no parts or owner's manual has ever turned up.

Back