Questions About My New/old Lathe.

Dan,

Unfortunately, Sears never had Atlas do an exploded view drawing of the 101.07301. However, for most of it you can use the manual for the 618 or 101.21400, several different versions of which do have Illustrated Parts Lists. Whats different are the headstock, spindle and the countershaft assembly.

The headstock is pretty obvious.

What's different on the spindle are the bearings (they go in the same location and you have no dust covers to worry with) and a thrust bearing and spacer on yours versus a collar on the 618. The pulley bushing part numbers are slightly different because the spindle diameters are slightly different, but they are in the same location. Once you have it back together, bearing and spindle end float instructions are in most of the Operation & Parts manuals.

On the countershaft assembly, the main brackets (that bolt to the table) are slightly different (the bracket on most 618's is the third version but for some reason the on on the 101.07301 always remained at the second version). The hanger assembly (carries the two pulleys) is the same. How it mounts to the bracket is different. On yours, it sticks up from the bracket. On the later 618 it hangs down.

Everything else is the same except that on the 101.07301 the motor is generally shown as sticking out to the left of the headstock and on the 618 or 101.21400 it is behind the countershaft assembly..

If anyone with a 101.07301 wants to add to this, feel free.

the main important difference I've found in the spindle between the two bearing types, other than the ones you've noted, is that on the 7301 you HAVE to remove the bull gear woodruff key before driving out the spindle. If you don't you'll gouge a trench in the bushing. There's enough space to wiggle things around and remove it once you've driven the spindle out enough to expose the key between the headstock and the bull gear. On the 618, you can technically remove the key, but there's a slot in the dust cover that allows you to drive out the spindle, bearing and front dust cover with the key in place. There's no easy way that I could see last night to put the key back in without it being on the spindle first.

Matt,

I never have seen dust covers off of a 6" but the ones on a late 12" have none. A year or two ago, someone on the Yahoo list said that his 10" or 12" had slots in it that he thought might have been made by someone driving out the spindle without removing the Woodruff key. :)

yup, both the inner dust covers have the slots, although you only need it on the main bearing (closest to the chuck). They're quite deliberately there, you can even see on the main bearing inner cover on mine where some eejit tried knocking the spindle out without lining the key up with the slot :)

I'm guessing that the inner dust cover on the outboard bearing has the slot simply as a cost saving measure - both inner and outer covers for both bearings are identical and interchangeable.

OK. That's good to know. No one ever mentioned it before (other than the eejit marks on that one 10" or 12". Thanks.

I'm now attempting to take apart the back gear assembly. I have the back gears and collars loose on the shaft. Is there a trick to removing the back gear shaft? Are the eccentrics pressed on?

The back gear shaft looks so simple except for the eccentrics and ball bearing/detent. Am I just missing something obvious? All the set screws are loosened but the shaft won't come off the back gear assembly. The M6 243 back gear part has to be replaced because the smaller gear was destroyed before I got the lathe.

How do I get this apart?

yup, there's a roll pin in the handle of the back gear shaft. Only comes out one way and can't remember which, I figured it out by looking at which end was the thickest. Then you pull the handle off, catch the spring and ball that provides the detent positions, and pull the back gear shaft out from the left (non-handle) side. It's a bit of a fiddle getting it back on to be honest, but not impossible.

Have you seen Deans photographica site? He has a lot of useful info and pictures about tearing down a 7301. There are also other youtube vids that are very useful. They'll help you catch those little gotchas that can trip you up.

The parts manual describes the pin through the right eccentric and shaft as a "roll pin". I never heard of one that was tapered.

On another but related subject, the parts manual does not show a roll pin in the left eccentric. Nor any other way of securing it to the shaft. Does it also have a roll pin in it?

Standing in the operator's position on the right hand end of the back gear shaft is the little shiny lever that controls the cam. I don't see a roll pin but there is a nub of metal on the rim of the metal and another spot for a set screw (which is missing). I see part of the detent BB if I look for it.

Update: I just went to Dean's photographica. Is it truly a roll pin (the hollow piece with the slit down the length of the side) or could it be a solid pin? I do see something that looks like a solid pin that may be in the right position. I'll bet that's it.

Last edited:
Back