Questions about Sheldon Sebastian 16" model B-6 lathe

Robo_Pi

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at a Sheldon Sebastian 16" model B-6 lathe and would like to find more information on it if possible.

Here's the lathe: It's a 16" swing by 39" bed (not sure if that 30" is between centers?

My first questions have to do with the chuck.
  1. How does this chuck attach to the lathe? Is it easy to remove?
  2. On the front, are there pieces of the jaws missing?
  3. Can you make custom soft jaws that will screw onto the existing jaws? That's what it looks like to me.

This chuck is 10"

Next questions have to do with the drive train:
  1. Is this a variable speed control? And if so, does anyone know how it works mechanically?
  2. There's a vertical lever on the top. What does this lever do? Main speed control?
  3. There are two smaller levers in the middle (one missing the black ball knob. What do they do?
  4. There appears to be a small lever on the top of the quick-change gearbox possible with a broken knob as well?
If that is a lever, what does it do?

Questions on the Apron Controls: (see two pictures of the apron below)

It comes with a thread dial indicator.
  1. I'm assuming the main lever on the right side is the half-nut lever?
  2. Just below the half-nut lever there is a small knob. What does it do? I'm assuming you can pull this in or out to engage or disengage something?
  3. I'm guessing the two levers hanging down with black knobs on the end engage the power feeds for either the table or cross-feed?
  4. Finally, can the feed direction be changed without reversing the lathe?

I can't inspect this lathe in person, and even if I could I'm not sure I could plug it in to try things out.

The tool holder appears to be a quick-change type with only one tool holder that comes with it.
I figure with the one tool holder I'll at least have a good model to make more of them.

Finally, can anyone point to a PDF or other source where I might find technical information on this model?

I'd love to have an exploded view of how the drive train works, etc.

Also, anyone know what year this lathe might be:

Serial number is B227866

Thanks

I can't seem to find this exact model on the Internet.

I found a guy on eBay selling manuals for Sheldon lathes. But the only thing he has for a 16" lathe looks like the following.

But this isn't the same layout at all. The speed change levers are different. The quick change gearbox is different, and the Apron is laid out differently too.

seb1224ad.jpg

He has another manual for the 13" Sheldon lathe that looks much more like the one I'm looking at, except it's only 13" instead of 16":

On this one the the speed change levers, the quick-change gearbox, and the Apron controls look exactly like the lathe I'm looking at.

This manual would probably be the better manual to get. He wants $25 for this manual which isn't bad. But I don't want to buy the manual until I know that I'll be buying the lathe. And I don't want to buy the lathe until I've seen an exploded view of it in a manual. :grin:

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I just want to get an idea of what I'm buying before I buy it. But of course if I do get this lathe having a complete manual with all the exploded views of the gears, etc, would be well worth $25. I'm guessing this manual for the 13" would be pretty much identical to the 16" inch (at least based on the photo on the front of the manual). It sure looks pretty much the same. Even though it has a different model number. The model I'm looking at is a B-6. The manual below is for a model A-5-3D1. But they sure do look similar in terms of how the controls are laid out.

s-l1600.jpg

I did find one like it for sale on eBay. It's also a model B-6. It's a 16" x 48" and they are asking $3,750 for it.

IT does look to be in nicer shape, but it's also about 4 times more than the one I'm looking at. :grin:

But at least I found another one like it. Apparently this one comes with a coolant system.

I think at under $1000 It would be a good deal if it runs an isn't totally clapped out. Used, they are all going to require a little love. Mike

I'm actually looking forward to rebuilding an old lathe. I like the antique iron. I'm not sure what year this one is, but it's old enough for me. So I'm almost more interested in rebuilding a lathe than in actually using it. Of course, after I rebuilt it I would indeed put it to good use as well. I kind of like this Sebastian. I really like the idea of the mechanical speed control. I'd like to know exactly how that works though. I'm thinking that it's probably some kind of cone-pulley and belt system. But I really have no idea.

That's why I would like to find an exploded view of the drive system before I buy it. I'd like to find out what I'm getting into before I jump in.

I did find one like it for sale on eBay. It's also a model B-6. It's a 16" x 48" and they are asking $3,750 for it.

View attachment 288196

IT does look to be in nicer shape, but it's also about 4 times more than the one I'm looking at. :grin:

But at least I found another one like it. Apparently this one comes with a coolant system.
$3,750.00 for that lathe is more than ridiculous. Note the machine on eBay is being offered by a used equipment dealer. Sebastian was purchased by Sheldon and became their economy line. They are good machines, but not worth near what the seller is asking. There are several other later model Sheldon's on eBay for considerably less money. The asking price of the one you are looking at seems reasonable if it's all there and in working condition. Keep in mind the machine is probably 60+ years old. As such it could have broken parts that are no longer available. Also keep in mind that when parts do become available they generally aren't cheap.

By comparison there is a Sheldon MW-56-P lathe with an asking price of $2,500.00.

This machine has been listed on and off for over 3 years and still no one is willing to pay that price. Also as an FYI I purchased a Sheldon MW-56-P machine from a member of another board. I paid about the same price as the one listed, but it had been completely rebuilt including grinding the bed and cross slide ways. In addition my machine came with 3 chucks, a steady rest, a follow rest, a 5C collet system, a quick change tool post, several drill chucks several dead centers, and other assorted tooling.

There is considerable information on these machines at the Sheldon Lathe Yahoo groups. Here's a link to the Sheldon Lathe Group.

There is also a Sheldon 2 Lathe group due to space limitations on the original server. You have to apply to join the group and it usually takes about a week for a response. There is a gentleman by the name of John Knox who is a member of the board. He is an authority on the Sheldon machines in that he worked for Sheldon n their engineering department for around 30 years.

There is considerable information on these machines at the Sheldon Lathe Yahoo groups. Here's a link to the Sheldon Lathe Group.

Thanks, that will be useful. I'll go join that Yahoo group right now.

Back