Questions Regarding Thrust Bearing on the 10-31 Spindle

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Questions for anyone with a babbit bearing 10" or 12" Atlas lathe - is the pin in the spindle that locates the spindle thrust bearing threaded or straight sided? If the latter, is it a press fit or a slip fit?

Also, the lubrication instructions in the MOLO's do not mention the thrust bearing. Does enough oil seep or sling out of the inboard side of the left spindle bearing to keep the thrust bearing lubricated? If not, how do you oil it?

Plain, straight pin, not threaded. Slip fit, not press fit.
I squirt oil at the bearing as best I can, to make sure some gets in.

Tim,

Thanks. What puzzles me is that I have a couple of photos of a pin that someone sent me 2 years ago that appears to have about three threads of what looks like 1/4"-20 on one end. I finally tracked down the part number as 9-116 Spindle Thrust Collar Pin. I'll call Clausing and see whether or not I can get the drawing. If the pin was originally threaded, it should show the change.

I had one(pin,1/8" dia or there about) that looked like it was threaded(approx. 1/3 of it's 1/4" length), closer inspection of the spindle showed the hole to be plain not threaded.
Initially had difficulty removing pin, "unscrewing" it solved the problem at the time. When the time came to assemble, pin would not screw in.
Have the original spindle and pin(?) from my 10F, can take some pic's with rule/vernier for scale.

Let me see whether they still have the drawing and whether I can get a copy first, before you go to that trouble. The photo that I have has no scale reference on it. For some reason I just assumed it was 1/4" dia. But it could just as well be about 1/8" dia with #6 or #8-32 threads (I didn't look up which it would have to be). Actually, although in optimizing the photo by adjusting contrast and brightness I seem to have lost the info showing who sent it. So it could be your pin, unless you are certain that you didn't photograph it.

I couldn't find this Thread the other day when I finally remembered to ask for the pin drawing. The drawing is in Downloads as Atlas 9-116 Thrust Bearing Thrust Pin.pdf. It shows the pin as 1/8" dia. by 1/4" long steel. No threads.

Back