Quick and dirty tail stock for a vertically oriented rotary table

Update:

Got the spacer plate nearly complete. Pics below.

#1 & #2 show the tailstock just sitting on the new aluminum spacer plate, #3 is the adjustment plate that comes with the tail stock. #4 shows that the axis of the tailstock is currently at 6-52/64ths from the bed of the mill.

I'll take a similar measurement of the axis of the rotary table, then mill the thickness of the spacer plate so that the two axiis match.

Once that is complete I'll need to drill 3 holes, one to bolt the tailstock to the spacer plate, and two to bolt the spacer plate to the mill bed.

Attachments

• Tailstock_Trial_Fitting1.jpg
    Tailstock_Trial_Fitting1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Tailstock_Trial_Fitting2.jpg
    Tailstock_Trial_Fitting2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Tailstock_Trial_Fitting3.jpg
    Tailstock_Trial_Fitting3.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Tailstock_Trial_Fitting4.jpg
    Tailstock_Trial_Fitting4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Update from OP:

Here is the tailstock mounted on my mill table. Now I just have to mill the thickness of the spacer to match the axis of the rotary table.

Tailstrock_mounted.jpg

Is this a good way to measure the height of the axis of the rotary table, after subtracting half the diameter of course?

Measuring_rotary_table_axis_height.jpg

Ok, to avoid any further confusion, from this day forward, rotary tables will be referred to as either lying down, or standing up! :)

Ya know, a hunk of Oak or Ash from the local home improvement store would serve as a base for that tail stock. And it's a lot less expensive than a steel or aluminum plate. Just sayin'

Back