Quick and Easy Vertical Bandsaw - My Version

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a need to cut out a couple of dozen "L" shaped pieces out of 1/2" aluminum plate. My horizontal saw isn't big enough and a hacksaw was not in the cards. After some thought I decided to see what I could do with my horizontal Port-a-Band saw to make it into a vertical saw. Here's a few pictures of my conversion.

I made a simple frame from rectangular and square tubing to mount the saw bracket.
IMG_0385.JPG

To attach the bracket I made a couple of aluminum V-blocks to clamp the bracket cross shaft to the tubing frame.
IMG_0384.JPG

I didn't have enough square tubing on hand to make the frame higher so I clamped it to my work bench. I have a 15" tall HF mechanics stool that makes it very comfortable when using the saw.
IMG_0387.JPG

I wired in a toggle switch. Makes it a lot easier to turn the saw on and off.
IMG_0388.JPG

This is a view of the turnbuckle arrangement to level the table and get the blade vertical. As you can see the setup is temporary. Now that I have tested it out I plan on making a stand to get the table height so I can stand up when cutting.
IMG_0389.JPG

This worked out great. I cut out four of the "L" shaped pieces in a matter of a few minutes.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_0386.JPG

Norppu

Registered
Registered
Hacksaw not in the cards .... LOL :)
Hacksawing aluminum is nasty business. First You have the aluminum dust everywhere and then You start to sweat ....

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock