Quick Belt Grinder Question

Hi Paul,

It would be nice to get a hold of a circuit diagram for your treadmill. It would help to identify the various components. The power incline sounds interesting. All the ones that I have seen are a 24 volt DC motor. A similar layout I would think using micro switches at each end to limit the travel.

Did you salvage any of the steel tube ? Some could come in useful.

I do have the schematic for it, it was taped to the inside of the plastic housing over the motor.

I have plenty of heavier steel, the framework of the treadmill is VERY light stuff and oddly shaped.

Paul, that is great ! Getting that information is often quite difficult. Non of the treadmills I've stripped have that. I'd love to have a copy for reference if you would be so kind. I assume that this web site has a private mail system.

I kept some of the heavy stuff and a piece of the flat sheet off the bottom. The running boards are now part of a garden shed floor with the belt sliced and tacked to it. I've also used a belt as shingle on the roof. :)

I'll scan it and post it here as a .pdf (or .jpg if you prefer)

I've found the belting also makes excellent drawer liners for your tool box.

Hi Paul,

Thank you, much appreciated. Use any format that is convenient to you. The reason I mentioned PM was just in case there were any possible copyright issue.

Yes I agree about the belting. Almost a shame to cut it up, it is tough stuff.

tms1.jpg
tms2.jpg

Had to use the .jpg format, thought I had a PDF creator but it's a reader only.

Smashing ! Thank you very much. It gives me some useful info. Pity they don't include a circuit for the speed controller.
The speed controllers that I salvaged work, however where yours uses a potentiometer to control speed, mine require a pulse. Each pulse steps up the speed a little, then you either have to provide another pulse on another pin or disconnect the power momentarily to stop the motor.

A 555 timer IC works OK to make 5 volt pulses and gives the motor a slow ramp up, but it takes several seconds to get a few K rpm.

The lift motor you have looks to be a split wound one. Does it use brushes or does it have a capacitor on it ? Either way it could come in useful.

mfront.jpg

mrear.jpg

mcap.jpg

Thank You for the pictures.
Just as I suspected ! The motor has two windings with the capacitor connected across the ends. The other ends of the windings are connected together and would be the neutral supply. Live is just switched to one end or the other of the capacitor. Many induction motors are wired like that.

I use one from an old tumble dryer on a dedicated four facet drill sharpener I built. Being able to throw a switch to reverse the motor direction allows quick removal of the fine harrage on the new cutting edge.

I'm looking forward to seeing more your belt grinder as you work on it.

I've been reading this thread all day and i'm surprised that 2-3hp motor is needed to run a belt grinder.

Back