Quick change drill press arbor

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody have experience with the quick change arbors that you don’t have to turn the drill off to change bits? They work great, I just can’t get used to it, I almost always turn the drill press off first. The drill chuck on the left is one. You can lift up the holder while holding the chuck with your other hand, as it releases. I have a bunch of arbors so you can have a centre drill in one, a pilot drill in another and a larger drill in another and not have to shut the machine off. The Morse taper stays in the machine, it is just out for the picture.
Cheers
Martin0732E64C-1A82-4926-B00D-1B3768461184.jpeg

I have a drill chuck that you can change bits while running by lifting up on a collar.

entirely different that what I am referring to, and damned pricey as well!

mine are Scully Jones quick change with hand collar liftDSCF0001.JPGDSCF0001.JPGDSCF0007.JPGDSCF0005.JPGDSCF0004.JPG

Last edited:
Is this a good idea? Seems like removing a spinning bit, catching it in your hand, wow!

Is this a good idea? Seems like removing a spinning bit, catching it in your hand, wow!
Right! Its not as scary as you think, it actually works pretty slick. I still shut it off still. Habits are very hard to change. But even shutting it off saves time switching drills out.
Cheers
Martin

Back