Quick change lever

John Lestelle

Registered
Registered
Just joined the site, and I need some help. I just acquired a craftsman 12" model 101-27440 lathe and in moving it the quick change lever broke at the top of the hole that holds the pin assembly. Anyone know where I may purchase a replacement?
Thanks,
John L.

HI John, sorry about your broken lever, I guarantee someone on this site will know the answer, welcome.

Welcome to the group John!

Have you considered brazing it? My approach would be to grind a vee in both sides so the crack is near the bottom, but leaving enough of the original material to positively align the parts. I prefer oxy-acetylene, and flux coated bronze filler rod, but some would TIG braze with silicon-bronze.

Though I understand not everyone has that equipment.......

-brino

Welcome to the group John!

Have you considered brazing it? My approach would be to grind a vee in both sides so the crack is near the bottom, but leaving enough of the original material to positively align the parts. I prefer oxy-acetylene, and flux coated bronze filler rod, but some would TIG braze with silicon-bronze.

Though I understand not everyone has that equipment.......

-brino
I have the equipment and may do it if I can't find a new part.

Do you have a pic?
I recently picked up a used grizzly 4003g with both quick change levers broken. I ground a v like suggested above, preheated with a torch then mig welded then together. Been working fine for a few months with nearly daily use.

John,

The selector levers on both of the 10" models and on the first 12" model of the Atlas QCGB's were originally die cast in Zamak. The only manual published on the 101.27430 and 101.27440 shows the Zamak selector handles. These can be easily identified as having an "I" cross section over part of the length. These were later replaced by levers sand cast in cast iron and then machined at both ends but not over the middle portion. Depending upon where the break is, if yours is iron, it can probably be repaired by brazing and then machining so that the repair won't be too noticeable.

If it is Zamak, the chances of a successful repair are smaller due to the lower melting point of the Zinc alloy. So first thing to determine is the material.

Clausing (which was bought by Atlas but later shenanigans resulted in the name being changed) probably still has new replacements but I will warn you that the cost of machine tool repair parts is significantly higher than car parts, which are bad enough. So be prepared for a little sticker shock if they still have them. However, they are one of the few companies today who still try to support their older equipment, so it's at least worth a phone call. Phone number is 800-323-0972 or 800-535-6553. When the operator answers, ask for old Atlas Parts (Craftsman may confuse her). The part number for the old and the new lever or arm is 10-1586. And fortunately almost all of the parts except for the main housing in the five different gearboxes are the same. So if your plunger, spring, etc. are OK, they should fit. But the person who can tell you whether or not they still have any should be able to tell you that.

Availability on the used market is generally poor, probably because the complete gear boxes are in some demand.

There is one on eBay for $150. Just search under atlas craftsman quick change.

Mine are both broken too and mine are the later cast iron versions. I have one if the I-beam style mentioned above and the slot where the gears fit is narrower and won't fit later machines so I could not use it.

If you look up Steve Summers on YouTube he did a similar repair on another brand by pinning and brazing. I am in the process of fixing mine by following his work except I am going to try and thread the arm for a small screw to hold the repair part on and probably just use a little JBWeld on the mating surface. Here is a pic of the early style arm, my later style arm with the broken area machined flat (leave some of the old hole for reference) and the repair piece before I machine it to fit.

Attachments

• 15780596181278725611554092150276.jpg
    15780596181278725611554092150276.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 41
John,

The selector levers on both of the 10" models and on the first 12" model of the Atlas QCGB's were originally die cast in Zamak. The only manual published on the 101.27430 and 101.27440 shows the Zamak selector handles. These can be easily identified as having an "I" cross section over part of the length. These were later replaced by levers sand cast in cast iron and then machined at both ends but not over the middle portion. Depending upon where the break is, if yours is iron, it can probably be repaired by brazing and then machining so that the repair won't be too noticeable.

If it is Zamak, the chances of a successful repair are smaller due to the lower melting point of the Zinc alloy. So first thing to determine is the material.

Clausing (which was bought by Atlas but later shenanigans resulted in the name being changed) probably still has new replacements but I will warn you that the cost of machine tool repair parts is significantly higher than car parts, which are bad enough. So be prepared for a little sticker shock if they still have them. However, they are one of the few companies today who still try to support their older equipment, so it's at least worth a phone call. Phone number is 800-323-0972 or 800-535-6553. When the operator answers, ask for old Atlas Parts (Craftsman may confuse her). The part number for the old and the new lever or arm is 10-1586. And fortunately almost all of the parts except for the main housing in the five different gearboxes are the same. So if your plunger, spring, etc. are OK, they should fit. But the person who can tell you whether or not they still have any should be able to tell you that.

Availability on the used market is generally poor, probably because the complete gear boxes are in some demand.
Thank you for the info, I knew joining this forum was a smart move on my part.

Do you have a pic?
I recently picked up a used grizzly 4003g with both quick change levers broken. I ground a v like suggested above, preheated with a torch then mig welded then together. Been working fine for a few months with nearly daily use.
I'll send pic's in a couple of days. Trying to get my new shop set-up. We recently moved to a new home.

Dan,

I would explain the difference in slot widths as the narrow one is a 10-1506 from the Atlas Model 1500 QCGB and the other one is a 10-1586 from any other model or badge of lathe or gearbox. But what I can't explain is why the gears, bushings and shafts that go into the slotted area are the same part numbers on every Atlas or Craftsman parts list that I have. I know from looking just now that the four gears that fit into the slot on the final version of gearbox are the same nominal width as the slot. So I can't explain the narrower slot. EDIT - See Posts 11 and 12.

Last edited:
Back