[Newbie] Quick-change Tool Post For Emco Compact 8

slow-poke

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased an old Emco Compact 8 lathe and would like to purchase a quick-change tool post. This is the tool post on the machine at present:
Toolpost.jpg
It clamps well, however it requires both the center bolt as well as the clamping bolt to be adjusted, I would prefer something like the one shown below:
Restored.jpg

I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable one the same or similar to the one above as well as where to purchase.

First question is where are you located? Tapatalk doesn't give any location information.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

You will need the dimension from the top of the compound rest to the center line from spindle to tailstock. Measuring to the tailstock center point is an easy way. Do not go by the swing of the lathe, which is mostly irrelevant. Most of the usual suspects sell those tool posts. The originals(?) are Aloris and Dorian and they are very nice and priced to match. There are lots of Chinese clones out there that work fine, but are not quite as nice, and are MUCH cheaper. I only really know the sources in the US, not Canada. For a search you could use "AXA tool post", which may be the one to fit your lathe.

IMO I think the AXA size is too big for your lathe. I would look for a OXA size. And I don’t think Aloris makes a OXA size? But, many other companies do…Dave

I think the OXA will be a better fit, even the OXA seems to use a M10 bolt, and the stud on the Emco is M8 and about 1.5" long
ToolPost Stud M8.jpg

I agree. You need an OXA post. Aloris does make one in this size called the MA but it is quite expensive so I would opt for the A2Z version. The one on the orange lathe above is the Chinese one LMS sells. The A2Z one is made in the US and is nicer. I'm not sure but I think the Chinese tool holders will fit the A2Z post.

You will need to make a new stud to mount the post. I made it over a year ago and cannot remember exactly how I did it but it isn't difficult. I'll ask my friend to look at his.

Here is the instructions sheet from LMS for the Emco 8mm conversion:
Prazi or Emco lathe
3112 - Quick Change Tool Post Set, 0XA, Tormach
This tool post will mount on Prazi SD300 and SD400 lathes, many Emco lathes, and other lathes that secure the tool post with an M8 bolt. On the SD300 you can only use tools with up to 5/16" shank. It the Proxxon PD400 with a 1/4" (6 mm) spacer under the tool post.
On these lathes, the tool post mounts to an M8 threaded hole in the cross slide. To mount the 3112 0XA QCTP you must modify the stud that comes with the 0XA QCTP to suit.
Here is a simple adaptation:
Use this stud to mount the 0XA QCTP to the compound or cross slide. If there are two tool post mounting holes, choose one of them to mount the 0XA QCTP.

upload_2016-12-10_14-39-48.png

royesses,

Interesting, looking at the exploded view of the Emco #8 (assuming it's accurate), it appears they use a somewhat unique looking bolt, that does not appear to be threaded at the base. Since the threaded end is M8 the clearance hole in the existing tool post holder must be larger than M8, so I don't think the stud shown above will work. Perhaps I will have to remove it and tap the hole for a M10 stud?

If I have to this it will obviously preclude using the original tool holder, I'm okay with that unless there would ever be a need to use the old style holder over the more convenient QCTP?
Bolt.jpg

Back