[Newbie] Quick-change Tool Post For Emco Compact 8

Mike, Can you tell me what the part # is on the made in China tool post on the restored Emco, the image resolution is not quite good enough to make out the part #..... Thank you

royesses,

Interesting, looking at the exploded view of the Emco #8 (assuming it's accurate), it appears they use a somewhat unique looking bolt, that does not appear to be threaded at the base. Since the threaded end is M8 the clearance hole in the existing tool post holder must be larger than M8, so I don't think the stud shown above will work. Perhaps I will have to remove it and tap the hole for a M10 stud?

If I have to this it will obviously preclude using the original tool holder, I'm okay with that unless there would ever be a need to use the old style holder over the more convenient QCTP?
View attachment 141130
I have not seen that type of set up that you show on the Emco. But it does look like you would need to tap it for 10mm. The 0XA is so good that I have not used my old tool holder since I got the qctp. I can't think of any reason you'd need to use the old one. You could make a bushing to fit the 10mm thread with a bore for the 8mm so you could use it if needed. Not a lot of work either way.

If you get the Tormach 0xa you should get the 10 piece bag of dog point screws. The only problem I've had is with the screws that came with it, some of them were too tight.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4153&category=

Roy

The original Emco tool post stud is pressed in and is held in place by a roll pin. The hole for the pin is half in the post and half in the material of the compound itself. This allows it to resist turning forces and it works well. The problem is that the OD of the original post is too small and too short to fit an OXA post. I called my friend and he looked at it and that was enough to remind me how we did this job.

I made a new stud that replicated the Emco stud, including the notch for the anti-rotation pin. The stud is long enough to work with the OXA tool post. The diameter of the stud is the same as the Emco post so that it fit through the hole in the compound. This means the OD of the stud is too small, so I made a spacer out of Delrin to take up the space. I then machined a washer 1/8" thick to go on top of the tool post and a nut with a handle to fit the thread I cut on the end of the stud. The handle locks the nut and post down solidly. With everything in place, the QCTP is rock solid.

My friend sent a pic by phone so I can't send it here but it is essentially as above. I used Delrin for the spacer because it can be machined to very tight tolerances - there is zero play between the stud, the spacer and the QCTP but it turns easily when the lock not us loosened. It does not spin in use.

That reminds me - this is a change gear lathe and there is a thread dial indicator was made for use with this lathe. They pop up on ebay from time to time so watch for it. I think the same indicator is used on the Maximat 7 but you'll have to check. Iwasamiller is the ebay seller with the most info - email him and he'll know.

The other thing that you need that was never made for the Compact 8 is a carriage stop. If you want one, you have to make it. I made this one for my friend's lathe:

IMG_4888.jpg

If you need to bore a hole to a precise depth, you will need this stop. Not too hard to make if you have a milling machine. If you need details, PM me.

So I'm confused -- the spec from LMS on the OXA says it needs 5/8" from top of compound to centreline of lathe.
Slow-poke says he only has 0.536"
How does this work, or is the LMS number a bit on the generous side?

-frank

Frank,

Good point, looking at the previous images, when using a 1/2" tool with the original tool post, a shim (~0.1") is required to raise the tool to the center line.
Now looking at the image of the 3112 on the restored unit, it appears that the tool can be level or even slightly below the base of the compound rest. I guess I will find out when it arrives.

The 3112 rest will easily put a 3/8" bit on center.

It looks like the compound has a lot of meat on it. If you need to you could mill the .090 or more off the top to get the full capability of the qctp. If you don't have a mill maybe a local machine shop or a friend could do that for you. Just a thought.
It is so great not to need to shim your tools. I mount different tools on the holders, set them on center and just leave them in the holder. When ever I order from LMS I add a couple of holders to the order so it does not take long to build up a supply of holders. The Tormach/LMS tool holders have .526 openings and will allow up 1/2" tools. If you don't need to use the old tool holder it would be simple to drill and tap the compound to 10mm and have a nice neat and strong install.

Roy

Back