Quick Change Tool Post package for 6" Atlas lathe

I am not that familiar with the 618 but whenever this comes up on the 7x12 group the consensus is that the AXA is too big and most use an 0X0 size from whoever.
HWF

Hello Harold,
I have been communicating with Chris at Little Machine. I did not see this originally.

[FONT=&quot]http://lmscnc.com/3112

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is the OXA size in steel. No T-nut is supplied and the price is a bit higher. Chris says both the aluminum and the steel are the same size.
Posting this for others to see.
Thanks for the input.
Paul[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Paul This is another item that you will be glad you bought for the Atlas 6". I know, I know. I preach this all the time to the Atlas 6" owners but Arthur Warner Co sells indexable HSS bits and holders that will perform 100 percent better than carbide inserts do on the not so ridged, powerful or fast Atlas 6" lathes. http://lmscnc.com/3694. I had been through 3 Atlas lathes a 6" and 2 12" and could never get a good finish with indexable carbide (exp those triangle ones). My PM1236 is a whole different story, although I still use HSS for threading and cutting sharp muzzle crowns.

One other thing I would suggest is to order extra tool holders with your initial order to save on shipping charges. It wasn't long before I had to place an order for more holders. I found the system so versatile that I needed more than I initially thought.

I made a post for my 618 Atlas and AXA Post/tool holder and even with 1/2" tooling the BR cutter could still reach the center of the work piece in the 3 jaw chuck. Now the tool holder nut was pretty far at the top of the tool holder stud. If you have an AXA already it will work. The tool post was even on a washer to make it possible to spin the tool post above the surface of the 618 compound. I bet with 3/8 tooling it will work even better.

I just ordered some cdco AXA additional tool holders to go with the phase II AXA tool post for $9 for the facing, turning,boring model.

Interesting stuff for a rank amateur like me:thumbsup:

I was especially interested to hear of indexable HSS tools :tiphat:- they seem pretty rare on UK Ebay (v. quick search)

I used the A2Z post, and loved it. I also used the Sherline QCTP in there, and LOVE it, but it is hard to find. The holders will go back and forth from the A2Z and SHERLINE with a little key I made. The SHERLINE is solid steel, and is more of a "Wedge" style.

Both worked great. I don't know which style A2Z they are selling now- is it the handle on top? Or the knob in the back? I used both.

Bernie

Back