Quick change tool post

Thanks, I'm using 3/8 and 1/2 in hss blanks in my turret style holder now and have to grind so much off the top that it just doesn't seem practical, are the quick change wedge posts as rigid as they claim.
Rigidity has nothing to do with it, I have left the lock loose accidently and there is no chatter, only inaccuracy; bottom line, the wedge type is not more rigid than the piston type, it is only more accurate in terms of repeatability.

Thanks, I am looking at the ones on lms and eBay, the ones I'm looking at seem to be mechanically the same but the ones on eBay are $20 cheaper and come with a knurling tool.

Don't worry too much about the knurling tool, they suck, particularly on a mini lathe. They can usually be used as a normal tool holder, which is the best use of it. But cheaper is nice. It's hard to say if it's the same, better, or worse. There's only so many ways to make them, so they all look pretty much the same.

Note that the fit is less about the swing of the lathe than the distance between the mounting surface and the center line of the chuck. The swing is just an approximation of that. The link to LMS gives you the distances required for each size.

The 0XA is designed and made for the mini lathe. It works perfectly for anything the machine can do. It requires no modifications or adapters. Well worth the cost from LMS.

Roy

Ok, so the ones I'm looking at Mount with a t nut to the compound. My compound doesn't have a t nut slot. Can they Mount with the stud that my tool post is already mounted to. I guess if my stud was too small in diameter I could always make a bushing or a custom stud without having to drill and tap a bigger hole in my compound. I've found other ones that are cheaper and look like they Mount the same way my tool post is mounted but they look pretty cheap and are made out of aluminum. I'd rather have a steel one.

I agree with going for the OXA if the numbers match up. An OXA works perfectly on my friend's Emco Compact 8 and is more than rigid enough for what the lathe can do.

You will need to obtain the tool post and see how it fits the stud on your lathe. It is very likely that you need to make a new post or bushing to fit it - all part of the game.

I agree with going for the OXA if the numbers match up. An OXA works perfectly on my friend's Emco Compact 8 and is more than rigid enough for what the lathe can do.

You will need to obtain the tool post and see how it fits the stud on your lathe. It is very likely that you need to make a new post or bushing to fit it - all part of the game.

At least for my 7x12 Grizzly, the correct stud comes with the kit from LMS and the clamping lever from the original post worked perfectly on the QCTP stud so you don't have to mess with a wrench. Win, win.

And while we are spending the OP's money... I would also suggest adding the cam lock lever kit for the tailstock. Tons easier than messing with the nut every time you need to move the tailstock.

Tailstock cam lock conversion kit

Don't worry about buying extra tool holders, make them. I have made several for my QCTP and they work great, plus they make great projects. Be sure to watch tubal cains video on cutting dovetails.

one lists an included T-slot nut and the other claims to mount with a stud

It may be the only difference is that one includes the T Nut, (which probably will need to be fitted in any case. I believe that the Craftsman and the MK2 are the same if not very close to the same height.

Back