Quick change tool post

I was wondering the same thing as OP...LMS lists two OXA QCTP, the #3112 https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3112 and the #4058 https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4058. Both say they work with the Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe but I'm not sure which one is most compatible with the Atlas 10100 Mk.2 as one lists an included T-slot nut and the other claims to mount with a stud ???

LMS shows the #4058 for 9" lathes. It has an angle on the cut off blade holder requiring 3/4" from the top of the compound to the center of the lathe. The 3112 shows it is for Atlas/Craftsman and requires 5/8" for the cut off holder. Measure the distance from the top of your compound to the center line of your spindle if in doubt. The 3112 does not include the T slot adapter, the 4058 includes the T slot adapter and both kits include the mounting stud. Since they say the 4058 is great for the Atlas 9" and similar lathes I would think you would require the the 3112. If in doubt a call to LMS will get you the correct part. I have the 3112 on my 7x16 HF lathe.

Roy

Last edited:
Ok, so the ones I'm looking at Mount with a t nut to the compound. My compound doesn't have a t nut slot. Can they Mount with the stud that my tool post is already mounted to. I guess if my stud was too small in diameter I could always make a bushing or a custom stud without having to drill and tap a bigger hole in my compound. I've found other ones that are cheaper and look like they Mount the same way my tool post is mounted but they look pretty cheap and are made out of aluminum. I'd rather have a steel one.

I had that situation before, stud but no T slot. What worked for me was to make a “nut” that is the post to hold it down. Long shaft with threads on the inside to match the stud threads. Can oversized the inside and just thread the bottom where your stud will meet it, so you are not threading three inches. Outside to match the QCTP slot. And a “nut” head on top to torque down the QCTP.

Here's a size chart. I have a piston type which are a bit bigger on the hold bolt and have more base are than the wedge type but I would like a wedge type for the accuracy and the way they lock is I think more positive.

Attachments

• QCTP Piston Type tool Post 250-200 – T_ - http___toolsnz.com_product_qctp-pi.pdf
    235.8 KB · Views: 16
Don't worry about buying extra tool holders, make them. I have made several for my QCTP and they work great, plus they make great projects. Be sure to watch tubal cains video on cutting dovetails.

I agree I recently made up boring bar holders this is the first part of a series that I made them up. I did show the finished parts although

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never shopped at Bang Good (yet). But out of curiosity, I see AliExpress has some interesting stuff at good prices too.

Last time I tried to order my QCTP on Amazon, I got scammed (again!). LOL

Will take another look at AliExpress later on this evening.

What I learned was going to a quick change tool post really speeds up your learning . Less stuff to worry about compared to a rocker. Especially center height.
Thanks Ron from ohio

If cost is a big issue you can make a norman style qctp. That is what I am doing. See my thread on this. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tool-post-holder.69487/#post-587736. Do a search for "norman style tool post." You will find lots of info on the web including several plans to make one. I haven't got mine done yet. I am bogged down with a bunch of family issues right now.

I also have made a Norman style QCTP for my mini lathe (7x12). So far I have made a holder for a parting tool and one to hold standard cutters up to 5/16" square. Mine are designed to mount on top of the compound, using a 10mm bolt (note: its thread pitch must be 1.5mm, NOT 1mm). For the ultimate in rigidity I've heard you want to ditch the compound, but the QCTP design gets a little more complicated. So far my experience is that the compound-mounted QCTP is plenty rigid.

In mine, the post was made from CRS and the holders were made from 6061 aluminum. I made a vertical shear bit to get a good finish on the post.

Mark

What I learned was going to a quick change tool post really speeds up your learning . Less stuff to worry about compared to a rocker. Especially center height.
Thanks Ron from ohio

Manny years ago the shop I started in used the rocker style after you learned how to set tools it’s wasn’t so bad but I prefer a Aloris style QC post. One thing is do is to use insert tooling that was meant for larger lathes and cut the dovetail directly in the tool holder the put an adjuster in it. Two reasons for that I have a lot of these kind of inserts because I got a lot them from vendors and in purchases on e bay.

Here is video showing some of the last tools I modified several months ago.

In fact most tooling I use are these kinds of modified tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back