Quick change tool posts & indexable tools?

Jason280

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a Craftsman 101-07403 12x36" lathe, which has the older "lantern" style tool post holder. I'd like to replace it with a quick change tool post, and have been looking at some of the generic/import sets online. Any suggestions on which style to go with, and is one style necessarily any better than the others? Prices seem to be all over the place, but not sure I am ready to spend Aloris money quite yet. Any ones to avoid?

I'd also like to go ahead and order a set of indexable turning/cutting tools, at least until I get comfortable grinding my own tool bits. Any suggestions on those as well? Thanks!

Personally I would avoid the piston style and go with the wedge.
When I'm looking at any new tooling, I check insert availability and cost.

I had good luck with Phase II wedge type qctp. Now I use a Multifix type from Create Tool and like it a lot more than the standard qctp.

I got mine at CDCO I got the set for Axa and when I got a bigger lathe I ordered the BXA from then, all have been good.

Another thing to know is, if you happen to buy a economy wedge type tool post set, the tool holders will most likely fit the Dorian and Aloris post should you want to upgrade.

A guy I worked with had the piston style on his hobby lathe (I think 12-13") and he had a situation where the holder came loose. He blamed it on vibration from a heavy cut he was taking.

Repeatability is better with a wedge and seemingly more secure.

It'll be fine. Buy some extra holders cuz you'll eventually need them. :)

Last edited:
Back