Quick change tool posts & indexable tools?

Looks like the AXA is out of stock. Take some measurements, the BXA may work with your lathe also. I use the BXA on a 13" Jet.

Fwiw, I liked using the AXA size on my 12x36 because it gave me little more room to position the tools. The BXA is definitely bigger and unless you plan on taking really big cuts all the time the AXA will work fine. Oh, and the holders are cheaper than BXA. Flustered

I’ve been happy with the Accusize one I put on my Seneca Falls 9” Star. It seemed like a good price point too.

Consider: If you buy as 'set" you'll get 5 tool holders three specialty and two misc. The three specialty are Cut off Tool, probably the most used of the three, a boring bar holder and a push knurler. The push knurler won't work well on a 6" lathe, nothing is solid enough, the boring bar holder, well, their use is pretty limited. I'd look for a used AXA post and just buy a number of Misc holders. (101s)

A 12 in. machine is right on the cusp. You could get by with an AXA, but might need a spacer under the TP to get to optimum height. A BXA is a larger and therefore more rigid TP. Of course, the machine itself may be the limiting factor when it comes to rigidity. Your call.

How do I determine whether I need the AXA or BXA size?

Measure from the top surface of your compound slide (where the tool post sits on) to spindle centerline. If you have at least 1-1/8" height you can use BXA. If you have less than 1-1/8" height go with AXA. If you have less than 15/16" height then AXA won't work without modifications but for your lathe that shouldn't be the case.

Back