Quick Change tooling for PM25

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been tearing my (whats left of it) hair out, trying to come up with a quick change tooling system for my PM 25. I fondly remember the CAT40 system my previous employer had, but no one makes it for an R8 spindle. I did find this:
which would work admirably, but they want to retire on just one sale and I cannot justify that kind of expenditure.

Does anyone have anything that could be adapted (and not break Social Security's bank) that I could either modify or make myself? I can't do OD grinding, but possilby could use unground products, if only I had prints to work from.

Given prints, and time, I might be able to turn out more than one set...

Thanks, DarrylN, I must have been sleeping when that discussion went by last year. I'm going to do some studying and try to make my own. One R8 Adapter and a couple of ER16 collet holders, at least.

Edit: correct typo.

I've been tearing my (whats left of it) hair out, trying to come up with a quick change tooling system for my PM 25. I fondly remember the CAT40 system my previous employer had, but no one makes it for an R8 spindle. I did find this:
which would work admirably, but they want to retire on just one sale and I cannot justify that kind of expenditure.

Does anyone have anything that could be adapted (and not break Social Security's bank) that I could either modify or make myself? I can't do OD grinding, but possilby could use unground products, if only I had prints to work from.

Given prints, and time, I might be able to turn out more than one set...
Tom,
The Tormach TTS system uses a ER16, ER20, or ER32 adapter which mounts in a 3/4" R8 collet. The adapter seats on the spindle face which provides an accurate and repeatable z registration. Tools can be mounted and tool offsets entered off line. In addition to the ER collet chucks, adapters for drill chucks, end mill holders, and boring heads are available. This makes tool changes. quick and easy.

The downside is that to be used effectively requires multiple adapters; at least enough to mount all the tooling needed for a particular project. I started with the deluxe package which had three ER20 chucks, eight assorted end mill holders, six drill chucks, and a boring bar holder. I have since added an additional seven ER20 chucks. It is a significant investment but IMO well worth it. I don't use an ATC but it would be a necessity if I did.

In addition to the Tormach 770, I use it on my mill/drill. It required a modification an R8 collet; basically removing some material from the nose of the collet so the adapter makes contact with the spindle face. Tormach has a white paper which describes the process of conversion to the TTS system, including truing the spindle face.

I use TTS holders and an air cylinder for tool changes. Each change takes only a few seconds and the push of a button. The holders have gotten a little bit more expensive recently, but there are a few cheaper options, and it is possible to make a few yourself if you want.

Thanks for everyone's advice/suggestions, I've about decided to make my own. If I can't all I'm out is some labor, and that's pretty cheap around here. If successful, I may have some drawings to add to the pile of what's available.

The low budget answer is to use straight shank tooling in your collets. Stick with only 2 or 3 straight shank sizes, say 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4", or just 3/8" and 3/4" everywhere possible. Put a 3/8" straight shank on your 3/8" drill chuck, and a 3/4" shank on your 5/8" drill chuck. Have end mills with shanks having those same shank sizes. All the other tooling as well. You will still have to whack on the draw bar to change tools, but will not have to unscrew the collet and then screw in another one constantly. The straight shanks on the tooling should be short, only an inch or less, to be able to swap them out and in tight setups and without moving the head up and down. Accuracy will still be pretty good, and can be even better than either the spindle, the collet, and the straight shank tool if you mark their rotational high points on them permanently and then clock them opposite when installing them, for fussy jobs only. Try to set up your tooling so that what you need for smaller work will nearly all be done with one size collet, same for medium and larger work. The final bonus is that if you ever switch away from a R8 machine, your tooling will already be compatible with the new machine. Straight shanks rule!

I'm drawing up an R8 base with a holder/driver in the end and numerous tool holders (collets) that will fit into the R8 and somehow snap or be quickly clamped into place, ie., spot drill,. tap drill, tap. I'm talking 4-40 or 5-40, nothing large. I haven't solved the problem of holding the tool unit in place, but something will come.

I'm drawing up an R8 base with a holder/driver in the end and numerous tool holders (collets) that will fit into the R8 and somehow snap or be quickly clamped into place, ie., spot drill,. tap drill, tap. I'm talking 4-40 or 5-40, nothing large. I haven't solved the problem of holding the tool unit in place, but something will come.

You mention that you are looking for a system that "snap or be quickly clamped into place". I use the Ultron Snap Change tool changer that does exactly that. Once it's setup it takes 1/4" of quill up travel to release the holder and 1/4" of down travel to lock it in.

Here are a couple of pictures of my setup.

20150216_154236.jpg
20150216_155015.jpg

Attachments

• OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS.docx
    13.2 KB · Views: 181
Using a collet to hold a tool has the problem of variable seating depth. As the collet is drawn tighter, it moves the tool upward slightly. This requires setting a new tool height with every change. It isn't too bad with a DRO with subdatums.

edit: removed some content erroneously added.

Back