Quick tool post adaptation

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello. The only thing letf to have a decent lathe was the quick tool post. The problem is that this is the screw

and these are the old tool tool post (left) and the quick tool post (right)

As you can see, I have to machine the base of the new one to allow it to seat on the screw shoulder and I don´t like this idea at all (I´m new in this). So I put a pair of big washers (I have machined the hole for a perfect fit in the shoulder) and now the quick tool post can stand solidly.

The heigh of the tool is OK

What do you think? As I said, I´m new and I don´t have idea whether it is a good solution or an abomination.

Thanky uou.

Kind regards

That is a good beginning, eventually you may want to replace with a single piece of the same thickness
Add paper washers under to reduce tendency to swivel- increases friction
-Mark

That is a good beginning, eventually you may want to replace with a single piece of the same thickness
-Mark

Thanks for your answer. Ok ok good thing. Of course, when I will be a better machinist, I´ll look for a better solution.

Alberto: Making a unified mounting post with single spacer/washer welded at bottom would be the optimum solution
However you may find the current pair of washers performs adequately. I would at least epoxy the two washers together for now
-Mark

The only real problem I see is, most washers are neither flat or of a a constant thickness. With what you got, you could machine a flat, single piece spacer.

Alberto,

That's not a bad workaround.
Just keep an eye on it.
If in the future you have flex/rigidity problems during operations (especially parting) then you may want to swap to a larger single-piece plate.

-brino

My concern would be twist when using washers on the base. If you need the added height then you could turn a single washer and feed fairly fast to give it some more roughness that should hold better. If you do not need the added height, the tool post rod should be removable, they typically unscrew at the bottom or there is some form of pinning underneath. I would recommend making a new tool post rod, it is a simple project. Alternatively just turn down the collar at the base of the current rod. I had a similar issue on my lathe that had a lantern style tool holder with the same raised collar, I rigged up a temporary QCTP hold down turned a new post out of O1 rod and then used the previous foot which was a M16 thread.

Tool post replacement.jpg

Thanks for your answer. I think the tool post rod is fixed. Part of the base, but I´ll check it.

Fornot opneening another topic, I have another question. My local dealer doesn´t have steady rest, and I have seen this one in amazon.

Is it normal that the 3 "legs" don´t fit perfectly in the center?

Yup I agree with Mark. Make a new post. They are removable, I've seen it. They are pressed in & sometimes pinned into place with a roll pin or a SHCS. If it's a roll pin, drilling the new post to repin it back in the original spot could be tricky. Just make a new hole to pin it after pressing in the new post.

Another option is to bore out the bottom of the tool post to fit the existing post. Looks like the TP has enough meat. Personally I would make a new post if you have the right tools to do it.

Back