Quickly Aligning A Four Jaw Lathe Chuck

I honestly never even thought about two chuck wrenches, and I've dialed in thousands of parts. One important note, Never take your hand off the chuck wrench when in use. I know this was probably just done for the picture, but I think a note should be added. I've seen some nasty gouges in ways due to the chuck wrench being left in, not to mention some stiches in side of one lucky apprentices head (lucky it wasn't worse).
Bryan

Bryan,

I never, knew anyone I worked with that, used two wrenches. Also noticed the stock hanging out further than I was taught.

No need to police this one guys. If you have seen Randy's other informational threads you will know he is not a rookie. :)

The reason the stock is hanging out so far is he is showing how to dial in a part that would need to be supported with a center. After dialing in the stock at the chuck side & tailstock side you can then carefully center drill it even though stock may be hanging out much further than it's supposed to for that. If the stock is not stout enough and/or the situation does not allow, as Randy mentioned, a steady rest can be used for support to center drill. Sure there's other ways of doing this but this method is not uncommon.

For average 4 jaw work I'll get it centered by eye then bring the cutter up to the work, maybe .010' from the high spot. When you see the work get close to the cutter you know the high spot. Can get it dialed in within maybe 3 thou that way.

...One important note, Never take your hand off the chuck wrench when in use. I know this was probably just done for the picture, but I think a note should be added...

Bryan, take another look at the post, I even italicized the cautionary note for emphasis :)

...Insert the two chuck keys in the near and far side adjustment screws. NOTE: This is a posed photo with the lathe drive train disconnected. NEVER leave a chuck key in a lathe chuck. If the key is in the chuck it needs to have a hand attached to it !

I've used the 2 key method, but I like abom79's method. You need to do it 1000 times and you don't need 2 keys. I think I've done it 20, so I have a ways to go yet.

I've used the 2 key method, but I like abom79's method. You need to do it 1000 times and you don't need 2 keys. I think I've done it 20, so I have a ways to go yet.

I always like learning new methods ! My eyes aren't as good as they once were ... I can't locate a post from abom79. Can you point me in the right direction :)

I think I saw an article (maybe in Home Shop Machinist) where the author made a couple of chuck keys with round handles for centering in a 4-jaw.

GREAT idea - would speed things up even more !

Thanks Jim. I was expecting to learn something new but I think that post describes the method most of us have always used.

That's pretty much the way I have always done it for about the last 50 years or so. :)

Back