Quickly Aligning A Four Jaw Lathe Chuck

Along these lines, in the initial stage of zeroing work in a independent chuck, I use a regular chuck key but without the cross bar. I work it like a screwdriver and can reach around the back of the chuck quite well. It reduces the amount of chuck turning required and prevents me from over tightening the jaws during the adjustment period. Obviously the jaws have to be tighter than that for turning so they get snugged up evenly and gradually before starting the lathe.

On my SB9a I use a socket driver with a screw driver handle on the back jaw. I have also used a socket handle to "firm" up the chuck in unison with the regular key on the front.

Tozguy, Genius! Some times the simple way is right in front of us.

Mark

Here are some videos:

Thanks a million, Nels. Those were awesome,
(with the exception of Tubalcain's video, which contained no useful information.
At least he got right to it and didn't get sidetracked and start going on and on about his opinion of cordless drills or something else totally unrelated.)

Last edited:
Here is another tip to go with the rest. To get the part centered quickly and very close, do this.
After establishing a center and installing in the 4 jaw, bring a live or dead center up to the part. Now adjust the parts center to the tailstock center . This takes a few seconds or so and will get you within .005 / .010 . Now you can indicate the part for perfect alignment. I use a rod 3/8" x 8" with a 60° point on one end and 60° hole for the center on the other end.
This placed between the parts center and the tailstock center for indicating. My indicator is mounted on the tool post.
You will find the actual time to indicate the part to within .0005 or less after the rough indicating with the tailstock center is less than one minute.
mike

I always use same method (with some improvements sometime). To me, this can lead to a better trained and automatic behavior and faster times.

Always looking to get where I'm going with the least effort possible, I made a pair of keys for my 4 jaw by welding a cupla hunks of 3/8 stock
together. Under $ 10 at HD.

.four jaw chuck wrench.JPG

Back