Quiet Clausing 13" lathe

Bill_729

Registered
Registered
I have been attracted to Clausing 13" lathes. I used a lathe in high school, but not since. I like the fact that the Clausing's seem to have high speed (~2000 rpm), compared to others that have been on my radar screen (1400 rpm). As a hobbyist, I don't want one that make so much noise that it's not enjoyable to use without hearing protection. I am also insisting on a QCGB. My budget is $1.5K-5K, preferably not at the upper end of of this, but I would be willing to spend more for a nice machine. I expect this to include standard 3 and 4-jaw chucks and follow and steady rests. Are the models 4914, 5914, etc., all "Loud"? Please help me narrow down the models I should be searching for. Does "Colchester" in the name mean something particular?

Thank you,
Bill_729

I don't have any idea as to how noisy a good condition Clausing lathe is. But I don't think that they made a 13". Such info that I have indicates 10, 12; 14. The Colchesters however do show a 13.

Colchester is or was a British company that Clausing bought sometime after they changed the company name from Atlas to or back to Clausing. My impression of them is that they are generally more expensive than the Clausings. Used equipment prices is of course all over the place but $5K for a 13" Colchester might not get you a steady or follower rest.

$5K for a 13" Colchester might not get you a steady or follower rest.

As a newby machinist, am I greatly underestimating the task of creating one with the assistance of a mill? I have no idea whether this part would normally be hardened. Of course, if it needs to be hardened, that would affect my point of view, but it seems like it would be a "satisfying project". I haven't been searching, but I saw a rest yesterday for $375 on ebay...

Edit: Here's a nice one for $750. Admittedly, it looks "well made".

Bill_729

Last edited:
No, I can't think of any reason to harden anything on a steady or follow/follower rest. The typical commercial ones would consist of three (steady) or two (follow) cast iron parts, some threaded parts probably of steel, and the three or two jaws which would probably be bronze unless they are roller bearing types, in which case steel. The only down side to making one without the benefit of the proper castings would be that there would be an awful lot of metal to remove

I acquired a Clausing Colchester 13" lathe about a year ago. So far its a great machine very smooth and quiet especially for a gear-head. I paid $2k about a year ago, no steady, follow rests or chucks but it did come with a taper attachment and collet closer. So I figure I got a pretty good deal considering they were going fo around $5k fully loaded and weren't many available at that time. The company is still in business and parts are available but extremely expensive. New versions of that machine are around $25k

Most steady and follow rest jaws are made of cast iron, although I have seen bronze jaws on a new South Bend 17" "Turnado" back in the 1960s.
Cast iron is a good bearing surface against steel and other metals.

Colchester(600 Machinery Group) is a british company ,and they own Atlas Press co,proprietors of the Clausing name.............and the Clausing Colchesters were made in Colchester ,England,.......but some are slightly different to the standard models,in having generally a needle roller bearing belt pulley arrangement,where the standard uses bushes.......and US market models often have no provision for metric threading .

I acquired a Clausing Colchester 13" lathe about a year ago. So far its a great machine very smooth and quiet especially for a gear-head. I paid $2k about a year ago, no steady, follow rests or chucks but it did come with a taper attachment and collet closer.

Thanks. I think that's the lathe I would like to have. I noticed that Joe Pieczynski on YouTube uses one one those too. Still there is some "luck" involved (in being able to find one), unless I have one shipped to me, and that sounds like it could be prohibitively expensive. Is yours 3 phase (are they all)? If they all are, then I will need a vfd (which I am beginning to learn about). Right now I have 10 gauge wire with a 20A CB. There is no reason I couldn't swap it out for a 30A CB if necessary. The panel for my shop has 55/60 Amps, but I don't anticipate running a lathe and a table saw at the same time.

Bill-729

I have the 12" 5914. It was fairly loud with the original reeves variable speed drive system. Thats all I heard when I tested the machine at the prior owners shop. I converted to VFD with direct drive and its much quieter. Loudest part now is some gear whine when using the feed. I could not even hear that over the reeves. I am going to be changing out the headstock oil for the next heavier grade (DTE25) to see if that helps quiet things further.

See my other thread on the VFD conversion:

Thanks. I think that's the lathe I would like to have. I noticed that Joe Pieczynski on YouTube uses one one those too. Still there is some "luck" involved (in being able to find one), unless I have one shipped to me, and that sounds like it could be prohibitively expensive. Is yours 3 phase (are they all)? If they all are, then I will need a vfd (which I am beginning to learn about). Right now I have 10 gauge wire with a 20A CB. There is no reason I couldn't swap it out for a 30A CB if necessary. The panel for my shop has 55/60 Amps, but I don't anticipate running a lathe and a table saw at the same time.

Bill-729
It is the same lathe as Joe Pieczynski and yes, it's 3 phase, I think they all are. I was also thinking of getting the 15" version, which is more common and of course more more expensive, but this one popped up close by and...

The power you have should be adequate. I built a RPC to run my lathe as it has 2 motors, spindle and coolant pump. VFD's don't do multiple motors well so 2 would be required and rewiring would be necessary as I waned to use the original controls. Also the lathe has 16 speeds which is more than enough fo me. You might want to consider the RPC approach as well. Not that VFDs are bad, I have 5 in my shop, they are just not best for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back