Quill downfeed on bench mill

@Driveslayer45 Backlash can be improved by loosening the bolts I marked and sliding the outboard assembly down towards the table. Work the quill feed lever back and forth within the backlash zone while you are adjusting so you can feel what you are doing. Then tighten the bolts back up and check the full range of quill travel for tight spots. There's a happy medium there. Now do the same type of fitting, torquing, aligning, and adjusting to every part that touches another part, and you'll have a decently performing little mill!
Untitled.jpg

Glad to hear it. There is a lot of adjustment in these import machines that you can take advantage of. It's up to the owner to tune the little beasts, but there is a trove of capability and hidden precision to be eked out.

I someday found that when milling aluminum, something I mostly do the end mill wants to grab. If I run the mill a little faster It does not grab so much thus pulling the quill down. I have had the same problem as you have. Now, another helper spring makes sense and i intend to install one someday. I have to really crank down on the quill lock when milling also. One of these days i will get around to investigate it. Maybe another bushing inside. I have also rigged up a dial indicator and if i need to get "dead nuts on " I raise the quill a bit and come back to it. It should not have to be that way. The dro should work as it is supposed to, but otherwise i love my 727.

I plan on doing something similar to what RJ did on the PM833. Its my biggest beef with the machine. I had a Harbor Freight drill press given too me that doesn't have this problem. I don't see why it can't be solved on these machines.

Hello All,

I've had a PM727V for several months and loving it, except for one part. The down feed of the quill seems to be inconsistent. as i feed down the quill will stop dropping then will 'drop' to catch up. i have contacted PM and they indicate this is normal as the quill is 'dropping' to take up backlash in the worm gear. intellectually I understand this response and it makes sense. practically its driving me nuts. This is my first mill as I am coming off of an old import 3 in 1, but that 3 in 1 doesn't exhibit this behavior. I have been told to snug the quill lock (on the left) to prevent or minimize this.. maybe I just cannot get the feel for it.

What is everyone else doing, are we just living with it, is there an adjustment to make, how snug are you making the lock ..

Any input is appreciated as sometime I have to work the quill back and forth to get it to the depth I want. Also I assume this isn't a problem when I am actually cutting as the pressure of the material will take up the backlash ..

Thanks much
My PM940V-PDF does the same, just a bit of tinkering I think, I give it a bit of extra room at the top and it seems to catch up before getting into the hole.

Back