Quill dro

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Can the guys that have either a caliper Style scale or a Dro style scale, well I guess any type of scale, take detailed pictures of how they attached the scale to the quill. I have an igaging dro on the quill. I have a small bracket screwed into the side of the depth stop ring and somewhere in my installation there was obviously a bit of tension or Torque because it pulled the tiny screws right out of the back of the dro. And in order to make everything fit I had to do a little bit of nipping and tucking of various surrounding Parts which I wasn't really pleased with. Unfortunately I don't have a picture right now to show.

So I'm looking for some ideas if there's a better way to attach all this.

I have a caliper type scale on my mill. The bracket was installed by the seller. The scale stopped working before I purchased the machine so I replaced the scale trying to use as much of the support hardware as possible.

The bracket has two screws to attach to the head casting.

The quill fine feed handle was removed for this picture.

Mill_quill_DRO_bracket_8288.jpg

The scale was unscrewed from the quill block for this picture. The original hardware did not work nor the pieces of metal provided with the scale did not work to attach the back of the scale to the quill block.

A quick fix was one of the L brackets from the new scale and a piece of plywood. The plywood is still in place. One day I may get around to replacing with a piece of aluminium.

Mill_quill_scale_block_8285.jpg

The issue I have is the quail block, as you called it, on my Mill and I believe most bridgeport's is a thick ring with a hole in the center to stick an allen key in to to remove the cap screw underneath. So that only leaves you the ability to screw a bracket on to the side of the Ring, and there's very little clearance there. On one side you have the scale and the depth stop clutch oh, and on the other side is just a block of steel. I put my bracket and cap screws on the left side, the side with the scale and the depth stop clutch and I had to grind half of the cap screws away because they prevented the clutch from closing, and then I had to Sham for the corner of the surrounding blocks to allow the cap screws to pass freely. It was all kind of a mess...
I'm sure a picture would really help here

Here, actually I found this and cropped it
IMG_20171212_235556.jpg

Back