Quill DRO

Just went out to the shop but no brand name on my 6" DRO mounted on an Enco Mill/drill. In the winter the batteries fail in the unheated shop.
Ray

Anybody know if the 'current' Mitutoyo quill kit 053906B which seems to be blue nowadays, is any different that the prior yellow/black ones like picture in post#10? I'm wondering for example if they are no longer made in Japan & blue is a farm-out? Anyone buy a blue one & have any +/- feedback thus far? The price hasn't gone down, that I know :/

11-15-2018 0002.jpg

I put the cheapest DRO that I could find that had the display horizontal in use. It’s worked fine, though I would complain that with no backlight the LCD display is a bit hard to see at night in the shop and also the display shuts off pretty quickly with no movement. It remembers the reading, so I just have to press a key...some of the time I hit the zero key instead of power. Dang.

I bought the 6" quill DRO from CDCO for my RF30 mill drill. Has worked flawlessly for the past five years.
Bought the same one also. No issues on my Jet JVM830

Bruce

I have DRO on the knee tied to the main display. So this quill display would be more secondary use like setting datum, hole depths… things like that. I guess I’m a self-confessed Mitutoyo fan boy with my other measuring tools. Most are analog but my beloved digital calipers are just so smooth & consistent & the battery lasts forever. Unlike some of my clone calipers that function ok, but they eat batteries & eventually something pops off or breaks.

I’m not opposed to a clone but there is also mounting & bracketry & accessing hardware & features of the mill. 3 years from now if it coughs, who knows if the same clone is around. The Mitutoyo is probably more standardised. It’s also spendy. I guess I was just wondering out loud if these are now made in Mexico or something & people were having any QC issues. I have nothing to base it on but hence the open question.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-VERTICAL...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

$55 right now. I picked one up figuring that I wasn't out much if it wasn't good. It works great on my Bridgeport. The brackets line up perfectly. Well, other than the fact that my mill had one of the holes stripped out. I tapped it for #8 instead, but then the slot was a bit small, so I had to mill it out about .020". The Mitutoyo is probably nicer, but is more than I'm willing to spend for a secondary readout. I'll use the knee with DRO for more precise cuts.

The mill controls are all easy to access with it in place, and I expect I could bolt most any clone to the brackets. All the caliper style units seem to use the same width etc..

Back