Quill feed excessive play?

abmaul

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a milling machine from a shop and they completely rebuilt it. But, there is a lot of play in the quill feed hand wheel, takes about 1.5 turns to reverse the feed from one direction to the other direction. I'm brand new to milling machines and didn't know if this is normal for a new mill? After they delivered the mill the hand wheel feed wouldn't work correctly so I had to remove the motor and all the internal parts just to find out that they had not lined up the detent on the bushing for the feed reverse shaft so there was too much play on the helical gears cause it to grind. While I had it apart I noticed that the gear that the worm gear drives on the back of the reverse shaft looked like it had a lot of wear on it. I called them about it and they said the gear was supposed to look like it was worn in the middle and was a new gear? I hope someone can help me out on this, it hard to get an accurate down or up feed with this much play and I have to use the Z axis rather than the quill feed to accomplish anything accurate. Thanks

on ebay awhile back there was a fellow selling rebuild books for the bridgeport mills. i purchased one and they seem to give you all the information needed to disassemble and rebuild plus adjustments.
Richard

Back