Quill Hand Wheel Super Rough

wvnitroman

Registered
Registered
Finally getting around to setting up my machines (PM1236T lathe and PM 835S mill). Yesterday I was running out of time so I just stuck the quill hand-wheel on and gave it a few turns to see how it felt, sadly it feels terrible. Instead of feeling super smooth it feels like the gears on a ratchet, sort of like click, click, click, etc in both directions. It's rough enough I'm not sure it can be fed accurately. I haven't talked to Matt yet but thought you guys may offer up something to check or do. Thoughts/inputs???

Thanks,
Kevin

Does it have a quill lock? If so, is it loosened all the way? I experienced a drag on my quill (not a PM mill) and discovered I hadn't loosened the quill lock quite enough and it was barely dragging just enough to not feel smooth. Also, could be the fine feed clutch not sufficiently backed off, if it has one.

Tom

Does it have a quill lock? If so, is it loosened all the way? I experienced a drag on my quill (not a PM mill) and discovered I hadn't loosened the quill lock quite enough and it was barely dragging just enough to not feel smooth. Also, could be the fine feed lock, if it has one.

Tom
Yea it has a quill lock and it is loose

I was hoping it was something simple and it was. I only stuck the hand wheel on without bolting it on or anything. Looking through the manual come to find out there is a "Quill Auto Feed Direction Plunger". Installed it, (it goes in the center of the quill hand wheel) pulled it out, and it works great. Push it in to engage. Woo Hoo!!!!!

Back