Quill Lock Repair....?

Thank you for this thread. When I bought my BP S1 VS, the lock has to be engaged otherwise thd quill goes down. I never knew any better, I thought that is the way it is supposed to work, have been using that way.

Now, I have another project to do. What are the parts that need to be replaced most likely?

If your quill just drops without it locked then you need a new clock spring or clock spring with new housing depending on the vintage of your machine. If you're lucky, maybe the clock spring just came off its' key/post and you can simply put it back on.

Ted

Thank you. Where does the shim go exactly, around the brass or on the handle threads? Any way to gage the thickness of the shim stock to find the correct thickness? Will a feeler gage help? Appreciate all the help.

Depends. Is the handle hitting the housing keeping you from tightening it any more? If so, a shim will help. If you are snugging the screw handle up firmly and the split cotter is not holding the quill in position then you have a different problem, like maybe the threads on the screw are buggered up or too short and not drawing the two halves of the split cotter together enough to tighten on the quill. Or, maybe there is crud in between the two halves of the the split cotter and you can't draw them together because of that.

Ted

If I can remove the split cotter halves without ruining them, I can inspect and maybe clean them up. The parts are not too expensive, so replacing them may solve the problem. Thanks

Take a long bolt, all thread or whatever that has the same thread as the handle/screw. Screw it in. Tap the bolt or threaded rod and knock the back SC half out the back. Once that is removed, you'll have access to tap the front half out from the back (the front one comes out the front).

If you have the time and this is a hobby, why not make a new SC if that turns out to be the problem (but it is unlikely that they are actually worn that much).

Once you get them out and everything cleaned up the actual problem will be a lot easier to figure out.

Ted

Thanks to all. Fixed the quill lock by just adding a washer. The vari speed j head mill is getting sent out for a complete refurb from H&W., and we’re getting a new refurb as well. Looking forward to nice shiny machine.

Back