Quill movement measurement on RF 45 clone

Abowie

Registered
Registered
So I have just fitted a 3 axis DRO to my new RF 45 clone.

The Z axis detector is attached to the head itself and so measures when I wind the head up and down.

But, of course, when I use the quill to move the tool up and down this doesn't move the head so my Z DRO stays fixed.

What do people do here?

Cheers

Andrew

Quill DRO is the very first thing I added to my RF-45 clone.... long before I got a DRO for ther other axes.

20190915_180514-1024x627.jpg

Same here. The RF-45 presents a few extra considerations in terms of mounting (depending on your casting which seem to vary by brand) and maintaining access/useability of the stop nut (depending on your front cover plate & other aspects). Here's some pics to give you ideas. I've since sold the machine so this is all I have. First quill DRO was a cut off vernier. Then when I upgraded the table I got a deal on 3 display box and found the micro encoder. Anyways but configurations used the same aluminum bracketry so it was decently solid.

I have seen one of these in person & seem like a good value. Would probably be my go to choice today.

Attachments

• IMG_5981_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5981_edited-1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5983_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5983_edited-1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 53
  • J2048x3072-08040_edited-1.jpg
    J2048x3072-08040_edited-1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 52
Quill DRO. Of course. I had no idea that such a thing existed. Off to order one now.

Many thanks to all of you.

On the two mill/drills that Iinstalled DRO's on, I put the z axis on the quill. The reason being that I used the quill for any precision movements. A knee mill would perhaps be a different story though. Ideally, there would be a fourth scale and the two z axis scales would be summing.

I wanted to but in the end I struggled to find a suitable scale and so I ended up with this. It works pretty well for me so far as I use the quill for most of the working moves and really only use the main Z for rough positioning. I agree that a summable "double Z" would be the ideal solution. The iGauging stuff does have a data out port but so far I have failed to find some way of transferring it to my main display. Maybe Sino make a 4 axis display...

Maybe Sino make a 4 axis display..

I have a scale for my main DRO on the Z axis but not by choice. It's pretty much useless to me. But it's there & I'll keep it there for if/when I ever get around to a magnetic scale to my quill.

Sino does make a 4 axis display as well as plenty of other but you don't need one for Z axes summing. You can buy a little black box that does it for you. Plug both Z scales into the box & connect the box to the DRO. On the box there is a switch that will output which scale you want or for summing. 4 axis display would be more convenient though.

Back