Quill readout

Here is a commercial quadrature version:
https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/m-dro-linear-encoder-summing-interface.html

The thumbnail photo is taken under the Golden Gate bridge. One of my old sailplane buddies is now an active instructor at a sailing school in Richmond, and I "crew" for him sometimes, fun way to get some different scenery in my life. The boats we take out are in excellent condition, typically 36-42 feet long cruisers. When I put up my photo here, nothing I had handy seemed appropriate or made me happy, so I just put up a sailing one. Pilots who have flown sailplanes hard for decades do not care much about a few swells and chop. At certain times under the Golden Gate, the transitioning tide along with the mostly onshore winds can make for some interesting sailing...

Thank you again Bob.. a little more digging leaves me convinced the sellers of these extremely simple things are aggrandizing the technology. Sure.. the signals are "in quadrature" to each other which is a way of sounding like an RF engineer (very analog... high skills) in a digital application. It's just simple pulse counting.. no other connection to the concept. There's this example from my life that always springs to mind when I hear someone shoveling nomenclature... it was the 80's and I was looking at a pretty nice amp in a stereo store... semiconductor.. no tubes. Now, I'm sure I was dressed like a total dirtbag as is my tendency and that might have made him feel good about trying to close me by bragging about its industry-leading inter electrode capacitance. A term of art pertaining to tube gear though I should have not been so quick to judge him as maybe he was working on a PhD in electrical engineering too... LOL.

Yup.. those were the conditions we encountered. I flew out to SF to join in a celebration on a boat with some people I was working with but my flight got in late and they already headed out. Two guys in a Boston Whaler at the pier getting ready to go fishing literally from my exact town in NE offered to take me out. The water was smooth and we headed north to transfer me over. Caught em with the wind coming in under the bridge while the tide was ebbing and we got 4' waves just as we got near them Like.. flip a switch and the violence meter goes to zero. You could see the department's secretary throwing up as we approached:) Though perhaps it is immodest to attribute that to the conditions. I waved as I said "screw it" in my head about transferring in that chop, and went up to my favorite Italian restaurant up in the city to eat alone. And alive!

CW

I've been looking for a DRO for my Rockford MV-100 for a bit now, and I was thinking about buying this box: https://www.sra-measurement.com/m-dro-linear-encoder-summing-interface.html.

It's a summing box for two scales, and you can set +/- to get the distance from quill to table if you want.

My unfortunate problem is that the Easson sellers on Aliexpress aren't responding, but I do *not* want to pay the money for an Acu-Rite or a Newall... Someday I'll come to a decision.

Cheers,
Will

Back