Quill vs. Z axis (or both) DRO on a PM30

I really like the Easson 12b display a lot more than the Easson 8.... so I think I’ll get the 12 with 2 encoders, which is also what I have on my lathe.

Quill is just as accurate as the column for depth, I routinely mill to 0.0005" tolerance height w/o problems. The issue is as the quill extends you loose rigidity and get more flex, so for big or deep cuts you use it for more fine adjustment. Also depends on the mill, and if you are using an R8 collet or say a chuck or long end mill.
It’s been a few years since you posted this MKSJ. Do you still feel the same way?

For my mill, I was thinking of skipping the Z-axis scale install for a while until I determined how I was using the mill. Your comment makes me think I should go ahead and put the Z-axis on the column (and then put a separate battery operated DRO on the quill).

I used a summing box and put dros on both the head and the quill. Working ok so far.

I put the quill DRO where the factory quill stop went, and relocated the quill stop to another location using an educated quick nut.

I was gonna do both but logistics of it made me just do the quill.

Attachments

• DSC_0824 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0824 - Copy.JPG
    395.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0826 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0826 - Copy.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 66
Thanks [mention]Christianstark [/mention]

Back