Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

That looks very interesting. It appears to have been drawn up as a solid model and then the drawings were made from this.

What I find interesting about that is how old the Quorn is. So they made solid models from old drawings, or redrew it, or something.

What I find interesting about that is how old the Quorn is. So they made solid models from old drawings, or redrew it, or something.
I believe its version 3.0 with some design changes from the previous mk2 version.

I wonder how you sharpen square lathe bits with an ER collet. You'd think 5C would be the choice for this.

There have been many more Quorn kits and plans bought than were ever built, due largely to the difficult construction. It looks like they got past that with the No 3. Might be worth jumping in now.

Thanks for the heads up on the Mk 3. Need to start saving my pennies...

This looks like a really great idea. While I was learning to grind HSS lathe tools under Mike's tutelage I had imagined a jig that could work with my Lap Sharp machine to hold the blanks at the correct angle for final honing. It looks like this does the same thing, but with a conical grinding wheel instead.

I'm curious how it works. I recall seeing some write ups on it over the years. Will do some digging and see what I come up with.

Back