Quotes and Sayings

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
Mark Twain

There were two things my father told me that stuck with me:
First, when I turned 16 and got my drivers license. "Just remember this. I'll bail you out twice, the First Time and the Last".
Second one was, "I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong".

"It's better to under-commit and over-perform than over-commit and under-perform."

This next one was applicable to a company I used to work for. The technical lead of my team
would always get us committed to doing really complicated or time consuming stuff that he
seemed to think would be really quick and easy, without consulting the rest of us.

"Optimism generally indicates that the situation has not been thoroughly understood."

CluelessNewB,

A little off track, but look up the Dunning-Kruger effect. In the case where a person wants to learn, it's when you
only realize how little you know, once you've learned a lot about a subject, pretty much in keeping with your saying.

The other side of the coin is that some people who don't know very much (and aren't that interested in learning)
can think very highly of themselves because they never find out what it is that they don't know... :)

Back